Linework on the surface of 3d objects

I'm having a lot of trouble getting good looking renderings where linework (either planar objects or NURBS curves) is sitting on the surface of a 3d object. I'm rendering in a sheet layer viewport (it looks good in the design layers). Its clearly a problem created with the adjustments to the various rendering engines (OpenGL and the new hidden line rendering engine). I get a mix of clean vector lines and rasterized/pixelated lines. Sometimes there's artifacting or 2d lines projecting through to surfaces they're not even on using hidden line. Or there's missing edges if I use OpenGL with draw edges turned on. Its pretty frustrating.

Has anyone else solved this problem?

Kevin

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=11834&filename=Screen%20Shot%202015-02-23%20at%205.53.43%20PM.png

Edited by Kevin McAllister

Kevin I looked around in your file - great examples!

•The clipped corners and missing top view perimeters are "virtual" crop errors as you indicate. Shouldn't happen. Adding my opinions to your analysis: The SLVPs are all made without a crop object. When no cropping geometry is present, VWX creates a virtual crop at the extents of the visible object(s). Some of the render modes exclude anything coincident with the virtual crop. Adding a crop object larger than the extents makes the perimeters/corners visible. Sports Analogy: VWX treats the geometry like US football rules- field boundary is inside edge of that wide white perimeter line - if you are carrying the ball, you are out of bounds if any part of your foot touches that edge (plus lots of other special rules). VWX virtual crop should treat the geometry like World Football - the ball is in bounds unless all of the ball is outside all of the line.

•The 2d line segments that disappear on the tapered sides of the ring seem to be participating in "z fighting" and loosing. Move the top vertex slightly away from the top edge of the ring, then they render. Or run a small EAP on each line and even solid subtract from the ring. Shouldn't be necessary

•Since the problem lines are rasterized, VP scale makes a huge difference. Scale up the VP and the horrendo jaggies become proportionally diminished.

•It's crazy that some render modes reveal the vector and impose a rasterized casing around it. Harrumph!

•Aliasing can be nearly eliminated by pushing SLVP dpi up to 600 or 1200. But that's gonna make some long renders in complex files. Not a great solution.

But my whining comes down to supporting the wish for cleaning up this situation. SLVPs should just render the geometry as vectors equivalent to the Design Layer quality. Planar or not.

-B