Best Way to Print in GrayScale

I have a client who wants designs that are available in color and grayscale 24x36 as PDF.

Sounds pretty simple but I cannot get the grayscale version really sharp so the text is clear.

I have Photoshop essentials (not Pro) and Acrobat.

I have discarded the idea of using JPEG anywhere because of the lossiness. I have a perfect result exporting as PDF at 300dpi, opening that in Photoshop, converting to grayscale and saving as GIF and creating a PDF. Except that makes a file that thinks it is 150" x 100".

If I export as PNG I get fuzziness. TIFF has strange tonal effects. Any help would be welcome

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Usually exporting to PNG in grayscale will work, however after selecting the PNG format, you have to then go back on the left of the Export Image dialogue and set the resolution, I believe it will default to 72 or 150 again, it should be raised much higher.

300 for smaller images perhaps but you can usually get no blurriness if you up it to 1200.

I am on Windows and there is no quartz filter. And grayscale conversion is only available in Acrobat Pro, not Standard. I do not want to spend the money.....

BTW I thought maybe I had missed a variation but I went export PDF, into Photoshop in grayscale and save to PDF and that is really fuzzy.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Make sure that you are increasing the DPI both in the export from Vectorworks to something like 1200, and that in the Photoshop document it is set to that DPI as well, I think it defaults to a fuzzy 72DPI there too. However, I do not know for sure where that setting is in the various versions of Photoshop, I think it can be controlled when creating a new blank file and a few other locations.

Grant - thanks for the thoughts - I really do not want to fork out for Acrobat Pro though I realize that would probably do it.

Print to file on Print is using the print driver options - I get Adobe distiller, and some very weird results.

On the PNG front - I have one file that is working fine but another that is showing gray boxes around white areas and also is running out of memory in no time. I have rebooted in case of a memory leak.

I often use a free program called CutePDF.

It installs as a printer, which is how PDFs were made back in the stone age. As a printer you have very fine control over how to format the output. AND it will work with any form of output.

So set it to grayscale only, 300 or 600DPI and print.