Auto-dimensioning.

VincentCuclair

Question

At the moment we have a 'Dimension Exterior Walls' command, works OK but windows and doors that don't have the shim gap showing aren't associative dimensions when edges is chosen. Bug?

My wish however is this:

Can we get a similar command or tool that makes it possible to dimension groups or several objects at once, to make it possible to dimension a large amount of objects in one go.

I'm thinking, what if we could dimension all objects that are selected using a line or marquee. Similar to when we select objects using the alt key.

So a suggested workflow could be:

1. choose the 'auto dimensioning tool'

2. choose dimension style eg. style, wall overall, window edge- center etc.

3. choose the mode for selection, eg line, box, circle, polygon etc.

4. draw one of the above and dimensions are place accordingly.

(5. possibly a dialog with a list of selected objects can appear with an option to include or exclude among the selected ones, in case there are objects selected that don't need to be dimensioned at that particular time but need to be visible non the less i.e.. spaces, stairs. etc.)

4 answers to this question

Good point, personally i prefer hands-on in screen as opposed to dialogs, so the marquee (or what ever) method appeals more to me, having said that I'm sure there will appear situations where the custom selection method is more accomplished. Both is good.

Suppose this functionality stretches to viewports and elevation dimensioning etc, in this case i think the marquee method is the way to go but again, who knows?! :)