faceting

i have just created a part circle with my 3d conversion in preferences set to very high, but i still have a facet on the curve, the radius is some 20 metres so i understand that i may see some faceting is there a command that i can increase the amount of facets on a circle so i can obtain a smother edge

thanks

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

What rendering mode are you in?

If its OpenGL, make sure to use View > Rendering > OpenGL Options to set it to high or Very High. I believe it still defaults to Low, which would show faceting on any 3D geometry regardless of the 3D Conversion Res setting.

I see this all the time, especially with large objects like yours. It can be very difficult to deal with when you have small curved objects (i.e. 6" or less in diameter) and large curved objects (ie. 20'+ in diameter) in the same file. VW is not equipped to deal with type of variation. Programs like Rhino deal with this in the conversion to polygons by allowing the user to define a minimum and maximum edge length. It can even be a problem when using the Send to Cinema 4D command.

Kevin

thanks kevin

i sometimes us a wall as a fascia...say 600mm thick x 400mm high to overcome this....... but at certain camera angles it can look like a circular fascia can look faceted i wonder if i use a extrude along a path this may overcome the problem

i'll give it try and have a look at the differences