find & modify doesn't list symbol

acdeslx

I'm using VW2012 and have run into this odd problem.

I created a symbol that I've inserted numerous times in the drawing. The correct count shows up if I generate an inventory report but no matter what I do, I can't get it to show up in the "Find & Replace" command.

I've attached a Light Info Record to the symbol with the 3D symbol name, model name and inst. type fields filled.

If I select the symbol in the drawing, it shows up as a Device Type = Light in the OIP.

Any ideas why the symbol doesn't show up in the find & replace list. Under "find all", I'm looking for "Light - whose - Inst Type =" but the symbol is not listed -- the other symbols in the drawing are listed.

Thanks in advance.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I assume you are talking about the Spotlight command "Find and Modify"?

Try selecting the problem lighting devices and change the Device Type to "Other" then back to "Light" in the OIP.

Ive seen cases where the OIP shows "Light" but the data field is actually blank.

Yes, I did mean "Find and Modify".

Yes, if I selected the symbols on the drawing and flipped the Device type, it did show up correctly.

However if I inserted the same symbol on the drawing it did not come up as a light even though I'm using the instrument insertion tool and it comes up as a Lighting Device in the OIP. Once again, I had to flip the Device type to Other and back to Light to make it show up.

Is something wrong with my method of defining the device?

- draw fixture

- convert to symbol

- edit and add light info record

- use symbol

Ideas?

You probably don't have the "Device Type" field in the "Light Info Rec" on the symbol filled out correctly. The "Device Type" is probably set to some invalid value or blank. Once you correct the information on the symbol new instruments should insert correctly.

• 4 months later...
You probably don't have the "Device Type" field in the "Light Info Rec" on the symbol filled out correctly. The "Device Type" is probably set to some invalid value or blank. Once you correct the information on the symbol new instruments should insert correctly.

I have exactly the same problem. I've just upgraded from 2010 to 2014 and I'm having trouble getting Find and modify to work. I'm using symbols I originally created in 2010, and they are all described as Light in the device type drop down, yet they can't be seen by F&M unless I select them, change them to Other and then back to Light again. Since they are initially imported as symbols and then converted to instruments in the document, what am I doing wrong?

There are 2 possibilities. First as I stated before the Device Type in the Light Info record is blank or incorrect. When you replace or insert a lighting device the value in the record automatically used.If it is blank the OIP displays the first choice even though the internal data is blank.

Second you ran Find and Modify at some point and did not select values then clicked OK rather than Cancel in the dialog.

I noticed that by default the dialog loads the first time with settings that would change the device type to an empty value.

Both of these issues will be corrected in future versions.