Zoom line thickness, full screen modes

grant_PD

Question

When I have my sheet layer at 100%, switching zoom line thickness on and off produces no perceptive results. It is only when I am zoomed in at OVER 100% do I begin to see zoom effects.

First question: Does the monitors resolution affect this? I tested by dropping my native resolution and saw no change. I'm working at 1920x1200.

I would like zoom line thickness to show me a more accurate representation of real world thicknesses. I can see the difference between line weights on the printed page at full scale, but it is not the same on screen.

I would also like for VW to enter full screen mode where I get nothing but the layer (similar to PS full screen mode). This is crucial because in sheet layers, working at 100% is very important to maintain layout. VW wastes a lot of room with all of the menu/oip/stuff. I can get a larger monitor ( I have a 24" screen) but those lost inches are still a lot.

6 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Grant,

The monitor resolution does affect the soon line thickness quality. The real problem is that monitors can only show so much variation in line thickness due to their dot pitch. IOW, VW is trying to display the line thickness on a monitor that uses a certain number of pixels per inch. The pixels would need to be much smaller in order to display subtle thickness variations accurately.

That said: VW COULD do more to simulate line thicknesses by lightening thinner lines (basically, more anti-aliasing), but I don't know how much this might affect performance. If you export a VW document to PDF and open it in Apple's Preview app (Adobe Reader also does this), you see what I mean. The thinner lines display lighter in color to better simulate the thickness. I'd love to see an option for this so we don't need to zoom in so much to see the thicknesses.

In an ideal world I would have an architectural "D" size screen to work from, so that I could annotate 1:1. I can't do that, so I work in 1:1 in segments of the drawing.

I would like VW to help me simulate what is on the printed page very much. Greyscale would be fine. I don't want to have to jump ship and start drafting in (ugghh) color.