Fix the Buggy Send to Cinema 4D

Kevin McAllister

Question

I'm sure this has been asked for before. I've been working on a project that relies heavily on sending things to Cinema 4D. Some things that need to get sorted out with this command -

- you should be able to set a default copy of Cinema 4D to use in the VW preferences.

- I shouldn't have to render in Custom Renderworks and then send to Cinema 4D to get the best curve resolution possible. There needs to be a better way.

- VW textures that use images seem to regularly fail in Cinema 4D (images can't be found and need to be reloaded).

- If you choose to only import certain elements when the dialog opens in Cinema 4D, the other elements are imported anyway (ie. if I uncheck Lights they still get imported).

As it is, its a fairly cleanup heavy workflow because of these bugs.

Kevin

3 answers to this question

Kevin, I have done some tests several months ago importing VW models into Modo 601 With their CAD loaders that support parasolid. The model of objects such as bathroom fixtures, cars, translated nicely into quads but all building component's such as walls, roof slabs, windows etc would convert to triangles. As a VSS subscriber I sent a question to tech support at NNA but they never replied. My guess it's a major modeling bug on VW's side because if I take a solidworks model (also using Siemens Parasolid) and bring it into Modo With their CAD loaders all gets translated nicely into quads.

Don't get your hopes on VW fixing this.