skylight editing (miter options)

rod,

i've watched both videos a few times already. the skylight insertion works this way as in the videos, you must but:

1. place the standard window anywhere in the top/plan view

2. convert this window into a symbol

3. select this new created symbol in the resource browser

4. then place the symbol in any 3d view (i use top view) - you see then all window parts in the object info dialog

5. ungroup it

6. turn it back into a skylight symbol again (this time it's a 3d symbol only).

then you can use it as a skylight, as in the educational videos.

the trouble is that everything works fine except for the miter editing options. this dialog doesn't exist in the roof element options palette.

rob

Taoist inserting the Library Velux Skylight symbols works fine for in both Roofs and Roof Faces (see attached file). There is another set of skylights in the Service Select Libraries which you can also try.

The form of the 'hole' is determined by the Roof or Roof Face Hole setting on the OIP. Unfortunately it is an overall setting for all holes in the roof rather than an individual setting for each hole. The latter would be far better.

You will need to edit the skylight Symbol to get its position relative to the roof face correct for your roof thickness.

Edited by mike m oz

mike,

are you saying place the skylight 1st then cut a hole or place the hole then the skylight.

No matter what I do the skylight does not insert into the roof and no window pops up to edit either dormer or skylight.

Must be something I am not doing correctly.

rod,

in order to get the dialog window you must click on the skylight handle. the skylight itself must be an only 3d object (a '3' in the resource browser beside the window symbol).

the skylight cuts the hole in the roof and places the window simultaneously.

rob

Edited by gester

thanks, mike.

i must have really missed the skylight option in the roof setting.

the roof face has a much more evident layout for this.

the only thing i can't see now is the skylight insertion option: either flush or surface mounted. as i set the velux in the roof a-new, it's surface mounted (and it's ok with me, i use this option in most cases). how can i choose the other insertion option, though? is it in the insertion option of the symbol itself?

rob

Edit the symbol and in Top/Plan View move the 3D Symbol part along the Y axis. To move it from flush with the bottom face of the Roof to the top surface of the roof move it down by the thickness of the roof. Through trial and error I have worked out that is what you need to do with the Velux roof symbols and yes I do recognise that moving it down in the edit to make it go up in the roof is not very intuitive.