Duplicating class in 2013 only duplicates the class name not its objects.

We've just moved from 2008 to 2013, and although there a several new features we seem to have made the switch pretty smoothly, the only thing we cant get our head around is when we used to duplicate a class in 2008 all the classes objects would also be duplicated.

Now when we duplicate a class we just get a new class ie. "my class -2" but its just a blank class, with no objects inside of it.

Any ideas how we can make it behave as it did previously ie. also duplicate the objects ?

I can't quite put my finger on what you're experiencing or expecting because objects have never resided on Classes. They reside on Layers. Duplicating a Class has never duplicated objects. Classes are a category, Layers are a container. I can only imagine you're describing some default *visibility* behaviour you're experiencing.

Possibly related: when you duplicate an existing Class and that Class was already active in a Viewport then it will be on by default in that Viewport. If it was active in the existing Viewport then it will be off by default in that Viewport.

Sorry i think that my wording might have been incorrect, when i say object i mean any shape - a square, a circle a group of squares and circles ect (is that correct ? i was calling them that because the panel that gives you more info on them is called object info.. )

What i meant to say in the question was when i duplicate a class (in the classes panel) i used to get all the shapes of the class also duplicated, but now when i duplicate the class only the class name is duplicated the new class its self is blank.

Hope that makes sense

cheers

Edited by LLI Design

Sorry ive just gone back to 2008 to try and find the issue, and it seems be my mistake, it works differently from how i remember it.

But it brings up another question is it possible to duplicate a class's shapes when you duplicate a class, Instead of having to copy them and "paste in place" them into the new class ?

Edited by LLI Design
But it brings up another question is it possible to duplicate a class's shapes when you duplicate a class, Instead of having to copy them and "paste in place" them into the new class ?

Go to Vectorworks > Preferences, under the Edit tab uncheck the "Offset duplications".

Then when you duplicate objects (Edit > Duplicate or command-D) they'll stay in place and be selected, at which point you can change them to your new Class in the object info palette.