minor problem / macintosh

After upgrading our VW to 9.5 the following occurs: double-clicking on a file will open MiniCAD (we keep the programm on our computers to open old files once in while) and tell me that the file can't be read. A collegue who's still refusing to delete VW9.1 will have that one opened and not even notice. Also, if anybody knows, how do you "uninstall" programms in Apple. I'm a former PC user, I can't figure out.

Thanks in advance, Esther

To uninstall just drag the application folder to the trash and delete it, pretty simple.

If you are using OS X, select a VW document and hit command I ( as in the letter eye) . You will get an information window, where it says General Information change that to Open with Application. Here it will show you what application is used to open this file type, you can set it to use a different application and then at the bottom there is a Change All button to make all files of this type open with the same application.

Under OS 9 there is a way to assign what app opens which files, but I haven't working in 9 since OS X.1 was released so I cant remember.

I hope that helps

[ 06-28-2002: Message edited by: MikeB ]

If you haven't already, re-build the desktop. As a rule, do this whenever a new application has been installed. With more tha one version of VW installed, and when double cliking a VW document to open the application, this may help in getting the latest version to open in lieu of an earlier version. This has worked for me in the past on my Mac running pre-OSX (OS 8.6 through 9.2.2).

Being new to Mac OS...rebuild the desktop by pressing and holding down the command + option keys upon startup (or at least before the last of the extension icons finish dilplaying) until you get a message asking if you want to re-build the desktop. Of course, click yes.

Hope this helps.

RGyori is correct. The resource fork of the file (Mac files are actually duplex) holds the 'creator' application ID. MiniCAD, VW8, and VW9 have the same ID, so that is mapped to the latest install of the application. Most of the time.

Uninstall: under OS9, also check the Extensions and Preferences folders in the System folder for application-related residue. Under OSX, you're SOL. Although using Terminal will allow you to access the innards of the system, Admin priveleges in Windows NT4/5 do the same, yet good luck finding what you're looking for in the Registry...