Dimension Issues VW 2012 Spotlight

I'm fairly new to Vectorworks and am using it for building a show in a few weeks. I have been trying to get dimensions from the drawing I was sent, however nothing I try will let me dimension anything. All the classes and layers are visible and I've tried all types of dimensioning. In the design layer I can't even complete a dimension. I click once with it selected and it kicks me out of the dimension function.

I've already talked to a friend, who tried to walk me through everything he thought it would be and we came up with nothing, so I thought I'd try other experts.

Please help. Thanks!

Sorry it's not working! Please create a signature to display your basic OS and Vectorworks products. Click the My Stuff link near top of this forum window.

Just some basic trouble shooting:

1. The dimension tools have several modes. If linear dimensions are set to one of the multi modes (chain, ordinate, etc) the second click might not do what you expect. See attached screen shot identifying the standard constrained linear dimension mode.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=6902&filename=Dimension%20Modes.png

2. Did you try it with view set to Top Plan?

3. Are the objects you are trying to dimension imported or converted from other software? In older versions of VWX I have experienced some imported objects which do not respond to snaps.

4. Create a new blank Vectorworks file and create some objects in it - circles, lines, anything. Dimension them. If dimension does not work in this new file, post the new file here via the Switch to Full Reply Screen button and the File Manager.

Keep posting back until you get this solved.

-B

Tried everything you said. I still can't dimension in the design layer at all. The original file I was trying to dimension was imported from some version of AutoCAD, however that doesn't seem to matter, since I can't even dimension a VW file I created myself.

I also did create a new file and send it to a friend, who was able to dimension it just fine. He also sent me a file that he had put dimensions in, but I was not able to add my own to it.

We're thinking there is some kind of bug with the software I received. Is this a reasonable assumption?

Thanks for your help so far.

Michael,

There are two things I would try -

- first I would try switching workspaces (Tool>Workspaces). It sounds like perhaps your workspace is corrupted. Is it a custom workspace? You could also try creating a custom workspace where you delete and re-add the dimension tool.

- I notice you're only updated to Service Pack 1. The current version of Vectorworks 2012 is Service Pack 3.

There is nothing wrong with your file. I can dimension in it just fine.

Kevin

Your file dimensions OK for me, too, in SP2 (I gotta get SP3).

Try what Kevin says, and . . .

Long shots: Restart? System maintenance & updates? Permission Repair?

Last resort: Remove & reinstall Vectorworks? (backup backup backup)

If no joy from forum or other users, call tech support.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw