Roof Object Editing

Hi All,

Sorry if the question is a bit basic but here goes:

-I am trying to model my in-laws house prior to an extension design in 2010 Architect and this is my first real attempt to use the program after purchasing years ago.

-I am having difficulty dealing with the roofs as they come together with many junctions (see images).

-I have been following the Johnathon Pickup manual 2nd edition loosely to build up the model.

-In the manual he describes a process of drawing a 2d shape, copying that into a roof group that has an oversize eaves and using it subtract the parts of the roof eaves he does not need by simply using the "cut" command. This is not working for me, neither is a solid object subtraction as the object is "illegal". N.B. when i "edit group" the Object Info shows the roof face as Locked.

Is there a way to remove the unwanted areas overlapping in my roofs without un-grouping the roof object and losing the parametric data? See images for the shape of the polygon I wish to remove an idea of how much the roofs currently overlap.

I did start with one roof and edit all the points & eaves to create a shape, but Vectorworks did not like all the intersections so I am now trying the alternative of creating different roof sections and shaping them to fit together. If I can get this right I can then start worrying about how the walls sit underneath...

Thanks in advance if anyone can help, I'll move on to another area of the model for the moment.

Regards

Francis

Hi...

The shape you place in the 'Roof Group', does not need to cut or clip anything. You merely leave it there, and exit the 'group'. I use it all the time, and it's brilliant!

I normally draw it outside of the group in the correct place, and then paste it in place inside of the 'Roof Group'.

Try not to cover an entire face of a roof. The only issue is that the bearing line does not disappear in plan view...

Let us know if this helps...

NO NEED TO DECOMPOSE THE ROOOF

Edited by Farookey

Thanks for the reply.

No, I tried that too, but the manual actually says "right mouse click on it. Choose Cut"

I tried following the Vectorworks Help file which mentions clip surface, but that wouldn't work either. Vectorworks responds "illegal object(s) selected"

Cheers

Francis