Vectorworks and precision

Following on from this discussion, where it was noted that we can now work at a different precision than that of the dimensions:

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=166697

...this is handy because it means we can work at a high level of accuracy, therefore avoiding associated problems with unwanted lines in rendered images where walls etc. don't line up exactly.

But wouldn't it be better if we could actually just control the precision of a file? So for instance instead of having to work at very high levels of accuracy we could just restrict the actual accuracy to 1 or 2 decimal places.

Maybe this would have huge implications, I don't know, but it seems completely daft to be using 10 decimal places to design buildings, which can have tolerances of up to 30 mm.

This is a very interesting question bringing together drawing / material/ component / construction tolerances etc and should also be considered together with collision detection and gap allowances.

It's conceivable that every object drawn is associated to a particular tolerance grade and that templates can be established for project type with typical preset TGs.

Also possible would be for objects to have a magnetic radius, and auto-snap together.

In the meantime, setting the Snap Grid to 25mm / 5mm / 1mm to control the accuracy of your file via the Document Settings>Units dialogue may be helpful.

In the meantime, setting the Snap Grid to 25mm / 5mm / 1mm to control the accuracy of your file via the Document Settings>Units dialogue may be helpful.

I did wonder about that but you would run into problems when you model/draw anything that isn't at a right angle I would have thought.