Frustrated

Well, here I am demo-ing Spotlight 2011 and haven't yet found any great new features (okay, the unified view is kinda cool). In fact, the basic fixes don't appear to have been done. I'm a supported of VW for over 10 years but I'm starting to wonder how they're supporting the lighting designer these days...

Nudging takes forever... still...

I can't select truss by drawing a marquee around it.

I can't select a bunch of long fixtures (ie: Colorblaze 72) either.

I want to create single pieces of truss in a line (so it gets counted out in Reports) as lighting symbols then convert the full truss to a light position and use it appropriately. If i do this, I lose the truss count.

Am I doing something wrong here? Is this just operator error?

I can't select truss by drawing a marquee around it.

I can't select a bunch of long fixtures (ie: Colorblaze 72) either.

There has been an issue with the bounding box of Lighting Devices and rotated truss being unusually large. This fix has been on the list for a while, and I believe a solution is in the works.

I want to create single pieces of truss in a line (so it gets counted out in Reports) as lighting symbols then convert the full truss to a light position and use it appropriately. If i do this, I lose the truss count.

Make sure "Including components of Plug-In Objects" is selected in your search criteria. I believe that will give you the count.

-Josh

Hey Josh.

I tried the search option but when I checked the "plug-in objects" box, a whole bunch of other things came up as well so it's not really useful.

Opinions (for all), do most people just draw the truss and not worry about counting it but just do it by hand afterwards or is there a trick that I'm not seeing?

Dave,

There are lots of ways to refine search criteria, but the correct combination depends on that exactly you are trying to count and how you composed your position. Are you counting individual segments or total lengths? Do you want a count of all hardware, corner blocks, etc, or is that something the shop determines for you.

Doing a quick test, if I make a position of 8 truss segments, create a report looking for the Straight Truss record, search in symbols and plug-in objects, I get an accurate count -- but this may not be what you are trying to do.

Feel free to post a file if that would help you explain.

-Josh