Depth of Field Control

Tom Klaber

Question

I think the new render engine has helped a lot in overall quality of my outputs. One thing that I am craving is depth of field control for my renderings. One of the reasons RenderWorks always seems to have that computer edge to its renderings is that EVERYTHING is always in focus which is never the case with cameras or even with our eyes. It would be amazing to concentrate renderings on a certain aspect of the drawing by leaving the for and background out of focus.

3 answers to this question

One can approximate this by creating a mask in photoshop and blurring the image. I've never tried this, but it could be done. A way to create the mask in VW would be as follows:

Create a set of grayscale textures in VW, by value.

After rendering the view, replace the textures in your model with the grayscale ones, so that the lightest (white) part is in the foreground, and the deepest (black) is in the background.

Rerender the scene.

Then in photoshop you can use that greyscale render as an alpha channel and apply a blur to it.

Time consuming to be sure.