import dwg file help

I've been trying to import a dwg landscape plan using trial and error, and so far it is all error. My problem is that the file imports to scale that is exactly 12 times too small (suspicious of feet-inches ???). I tried to simply scale all objects times 12, but when I do that, all the tree and bush symbols change into a single circle (where the tree trunk was) or a simple dot (where the bush center was). If anyone can tell me for sure what the best conversion settings are, I would be thankful. I've tried many settings, and I even tried to read the manual, but no luck yet.

First you need to know the dwg units......feet, inches, mills etc if you don't have AC use Trueview or Draftsight, once you know set the correct corresponding units in the VW dwg import dialog (scale is of no importance at this stage), Bob's part of the family probably an uncle....

Edited by Vincent C
  • 3 weeks later...

in case anyone else runs into this problem ... I solved it (sort of) the dwg symbols were actually all translated at 1/12 the actual size (the circles for tree trunks were actually the round symbols). I had to individually edit the 2D symbol component and scale it 12 times larger. This is not an elegant solution (I couldn't figure out a way to scale all the 2D symbols at once) but it worked. With about 35 plant symbols it only took about 15 minutes (but it wasted an hour of my time trying to figure out the problem).

If the symbols are off by a factor of 12, it sounds like the drawing was done with Feet as the units and you imported it with Inches as the units.

Next time, try reimporting with the correct units selected and you will probably get what you need.

Other useful scale conversions:

2.5 / 0.39 Inches / Centimeters

25.4 / 3.9 Inches / Milimeters

12 / 0.08 Inches / Feet

.348 / 3.2 Meters / Feet

Remember Feet & Inches has a base unit of inches.