site modifier methods and behavior problem

I have been working on a master plan for a large landscape and have been modifying the site model using two methods. Either creating a 2d polygon, converting it to a 3d polygon, giving it the correct z height and assigning it to the site-dtm-site modifier class. The other method of creating a 2d polygon and doing "convert>objects from polyline" then selecting site modifier from the drop down menu has stopped working, even though there are some instances where it has worked within the same file. having the site modifiers as this hybrid object is preferable since it allows you to modify the site modifiers using all of the 2d commands, such as offsetting etc. it also retains the smoothness of a bezier curve (with all the controls) whereas the conversion to 3d polys makes the curved lines a series of multiple points which can't be easily reshaped. I was wondering what is going on here. Am I missing a step or is this just a buggy feature of the dtm interface? I am running vw2010 architect. Another reason to use the 2d polys is that you can begin to slope the modifiers to create paths etc. Any advice would help a lot. thanks.

I have this problem a lot, but I think its just the way it works.

I use a lot of bezier 2D polys, and convert them to 3D polygons at the end. This usually results in a bazillion vertices, but there is a simply 3D poly command that reduces vertices. But, yes, 3D polys are hard to modify.

If I need to reshape, I convert those 3D polys back to 2D polylines, using the bezier mode, and then redo the conversion and simplify the 3D poly again.

Not sure there is any easier work around.

If controlling vertex count becomes a big problem, one can create & keep the orig 2d poly in a separate layer. Paste a copy into the site modifier layer and convert it to 3d poly. If mods are needed, head back to the orig 2d object and modify it (or a copy), and send a copy of the new one to the site mod layer. If a history of changes is required, line colors or classes can be used to differentiate the 2d polys in their creation layer.

Also, Convert to NURBS instead of 3d poly - same vertex count as 2d poly.

Just a workaround, but might be helpful.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw