Vectorworks Dropping Prefernences

I thought this was fixed with 9.5 since I hadn't seen it in awhile, but I guess I was wrong.

When I start the program it launches with the default prefences.This is very frustrating especially since I change so many things from the default setup.Is there a way to resolve this?-Mickey mad.gif" border="0mad.gif" border="0mad.gif" border="0

You could have a corrupted preferences file.

Be sure you have the VW program closed before performing this task. If you are on a PC, please close all programs before going thru the PC steps.

If you are on a Mac simply delete the preferences file and when you open VW the next time, you will be prompted to enter your name, serial number, etc. Then go in and set your VW preferences and place your palettes where you would like them. Then Quit the application by going to File>Quit. Now when you launch VW you should be getting yoru default preferences.

If you are on a PC, you will need to edit the registry which can be dangerous if not careful. From the Start menu, type regedit and click ok. This should bring up the registry editor. Click the "+" next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Then click the "+" next to "Software". You will see a "Nemetschek" folder. Click on the Nemetschek FOLDER one time then hit the delete key on the keyboard. Hit yes at the prompt.Shrink that all back up by hitting the "-"Then click the "+" next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Click the "+" next to Software and then click on the Nemetsche folder one time. Hit the delete key on the keyboard. Select yes at the prompt. Then exit the registry editor by going to Registry>Exit.When you launch VW the first time, you will be promtped for your name, serial number etc. Set your VW preferences and palettes up as you would like and then exit the program by going to File>Exit. You should not exit the program by clicking on the X in the upper right hand corner. This doesn't always close the program correctly and can lead to problems, possibly a corrupt preferneces file.

** If you are launching from a shortcut or alias, be sure you the shortcut or alias is up to date. The best thing to do is to delete the shortcut or alias and then recreate it.

** If you are referring to Document Preferneces, you will need to create a template file and open VW with that template file each time. Document preferences are document specific and revert back to the defualt settings with each new document.

[ 03-14-2002: Message edited by: Katie ]

Mickey, I'm not sure, but it sounds like you are launching the program by clicking on its main icon, as opposed to launching a TEMPLATE file. Here's what we do: 1) Open a new document (from the VW Icon); 2) Make any changes to page, size, text, line weights, origin, scale, layers, classes, etc, etc, ad infinitum; 3) Save this document as a TEMPLATE. Then, when you want a "blank" document which retains all of your settings, simply open the TEMPLATE you created. It will open as Untitled until you rename it. PLC

• 2 months later...

Mickey,

It was NOT fixed in 9.5, I came by here today trying to see how to fix it, because it's driving me nuts too.

It's not a "template" usage issue, it's a Vectorworks issue. It changes the Vectorworks preferences (click drag drawing, snap to loci, etc.) for no good reason.

I'm going to do the regedit thing now, I'll let you know how it turns out!

quote:

Originally posted by mickey:
I thought this was fixed with 9.5 since I hadn't seen it in awhile, but I guess I was wrong.

When I start the program it launches with the default prefences.This is very frustrating especially since I change so many things from the default setup.Is there a way to resolve this?-Mickey
mad.gif" border="0mad.gif" border="0mad.gif" border="0