2011 DOES NOT INSTALL

Well, the moment I was putting off has arrived.

Signed and returned my VSS agreement mid day, Jan 17.

Installing VW2011 now.

But stuck on the serial number page. Installation DVD Disk goes in, spins up, opens, Dbl Click the InstallVectorworks.app

Welcome screen

Install w/ Serial Number

Enter My Name & Company Name per packing list

Enter Serial Number found on inside sleeve of telescoping box.

Key in the usual set of alpha numeric groups. Last group of characters matches my previous license characters.

Returns error dialog - invalid serial number.

Tried serial number combos:

Caps Locked - with and without dashes btw the groups

Lower Case with and without dashes

Replaced zeros with letter o

Caps for characters, lower case for dashes

eject disk & try again.

Does the VSS status affect installation to local disk?

Maybe my VSS portal is not properly configured (currently cannot log in)?

VSS contract not yet recorded?

Any tricks? Tips?

Bad Disk?

Disk includes no Read Me file.

-B

Thanks, Ray

That's what I remembered, but tried it both ways in case there was a change.

Is the Select Service portal and/or SS Contract Registration somehow connected during installation? If so, how does one install in a location with no access to www?

Or do I need to register at the VW product registration prior to install? I will try that, next.

Unless others have ideas . . . ? ? ?

looks like this is an issue for officers on the mother ship. I will hail them on Thursday.

-B

I'd call into tech support, as this really shouldn't happen. The code that validates serial numbers is pretty well-worn and reliable, so I'd guess you were either somehow given an invalid serial number or something is going haywire with you entering it.

If you'd like you can email me your serial and I can try and verify it. Please don't paste it here.

Thanks, all for your consideration.

For once, it was not user error. Disk was wrong series for my serial number. Apparently a shipment from mfg to NemV had incorrect pairings of disks with shipping sleeves. Others may encounter this install error.

I have received a link to the download site (5 Gigs - could take a while) and a new disk is on the way.

-B

Benson

That's really appalling, I'll bet you spent hours faffing around, trying to get it to work, and wondering what you were doing wrong.

The whole install performance customers have to go through is only to protect the company, it's not for the consumer's benefit. Someone in the supplier chain stuffed up, but it's the customer's time that gets wasted trying to figure out what's wrong.

Very poor show - they should refund your money.

Thanks, David - Your concern is appreciated. I'm OK for now, but can I call on you if I get really mad at performance of 2011?

East coast/West coast US time zones are the main culprits of time consumption here. I started my install after close of business, so Tech was not available. The call today only took a few minutes.

I did spend some time last night, but not hours - including posts to forum. Previous experience with dashes and zeros et al, the uncertainty about new registration process with the Select Service (sounds like the US military draft during Vietnam War), and reports of malfunctioning disks made me suspect I was not at fault and that a call to Tech was my best option.

I have some gripes, but a refund is not necessary. I wonder that the package error was known and not tracked. An obvious action would be notifying the purchasers and shipping corrected packages. Perhaps the error was intermittent and less trackable.

-B

Bryan: Orders are filled individually, so I'd expect this was a one-off error. If we find out otherwise, I'd expect an announcement would be made.

alex: you should make a new post or search the board for an existing topic related to your problem.

• 6 months later...