Working with Dormers

JohnS

1. We have two dormers on one roof object. Each of the dormers has different siding material. How can we get each dormer to have a unique material on its walls?

2. How do you create an asymmetrically located window in the dormer?

3. If the windows are in the roof object on how do you get them to show up on the floor below, since the windows are considered part of the second floor?

Guest Wes Gardner

I believe I would NOT use the "auto-dormer" feature as its flexibility is a bit limited...it wants things to be symmetrical among other things...build your dormer from walls, windows and roof faces, then you'll be able to show it as required on the various plan views.

Or, use the auto-dormer feature to get the geometry and elements as close as possible and then convert to group and/or ungroup to edit elements that are not available within the roof/dormer object OIP.

Edit: Sometimes the resulting group is best used as a template to elements created as Wes suggested, since ungrouping can remove wall, window and roof definitions and that flexibility.

I always make a copy of the roof or dormer before ungrouping to have something to refer or use again if I need to.

Also for the novice out there. Unless one resorts to what Tad and Wes suggest above, the "auto dormer" feature utilized as is will only suit those who prefer vertical miters on their eave profiles.

This ludicrous inexplicable lacking is what sorely limits an otherwise potentially useful feature...forcing me to "model" the element since as long as I have used the program (VW 10).

Why the dormer can't assume the profile of the roof it is inserted into is the very type of VW thing that.....well, you can guess where I'm going with this.