Basic Drawing Wall Question

I'm preparing an existing condition basesheet for a kitchen and have a question on how to best do this.

My dimensions are from a starting corner. I have dimensions from this point around the room to each feature I need to place. Most dimensions are to the cased edge of a window or door, then the width to the outside edge of that window/door and then on to the next item. I start off marvelously with the wall tool and tab in the first dimension. But what do I do then? I don't want a wall at the window. Is there a way to dimension in the window opening, jump to its far side and then proceed with the next wall section? Or am I doing this all wrong?????

Marshall

XP

VW 2010

There are a few ways to do this. Here's my suggested workflow:

1) Draw the shape of the room/house/whatever with lines, rectangles or polygons, either from inside wall or outside of wall dimensions. BE ACCURATE! Use the Add Surface as needed command to create one polygonal object. Note: Save this object as you will be able to use it for your floor (and other objects) later if desired.

2) Use the wall tool to carefully trace around (or inside of) the shape. Don't worry about doors, windows or other openings at this point.

3) Insert Doors, Windows, etc. where they belong, realizing that you can a. duplicate one to make others, b. move them after insertion to the exact location.

Hope that helps.

I think you can do it this way......

Start with your wall at the point you described, and end at the first edge of the first object, and place your wall. Next place an interactive dimension along the wall, from here you can click on the dimension and add the next distance (ie window width to the existing value ie. just type +1200mm(or what ever) after the value that is already there and VW will do the maths for you as well as automatically lengthening the wall for you, then just keep going till you come to the next corner. Then place windows doors etc.

see this if it seems confusing.. http://download2CF.nemetschek.net/www_movies/2010/Interactive-Dimension-Editing.mov

Edited by Vincent C

If i have a room or a building it ALLWAYS have a dimension inside a room or outside a house. Very rarely in the middle of the wall!! i think there should be a choice to set the tab values either inside middle ore outside while drawing ....wall can sing and dance nowadays but even in VW2011 it seems that simplyfied worktasks are not possible!you still have to workarround or calculate. NOT comfortable!

maybe whishlist what do others think?