Vectorscript Performance Increase

Jarno Zaffelli

Question

I would like to use vectorscript plugins with 64 bit support and Multi Core management (on Mac).

Vectorworks need it because complex plugin vectorscript's based are extremely slow, I need to wait half an hour for a calculation of 15000 coordinates and I have a limit of only 4096 lines writed in the spreadsheet.

Anybody else need more speed?

J

4 answers to this question

Jarno,

spero non sia troppo tardi, ma nel caso tu legga altre risposte...

you might wish to contact Joel Sciamma of www.inventors-emporium.co.uk. He develops in VS a large package for analyzing big lots of landscape data. I am sure he'd be able to hint you to some optimizations specific for your needs.

I don't know what you need to do, but 15000 coordinates in half an hour is far too long. I have a script for other things parsing max integer limit (32767) of string count and it takes max 3-5 secs to do its job in a loop, including displaying into a list browser the whole of it.

buona fortuna

orso

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Jarno ,

Are you writing the data to a VW worksheet? I haven't done this in a long time, but VS used to be (and may still be) very slow at putting data in a worksheet. I'd first try saving the data out as a text file and compare the speed difference. Years ago, the difference was huge.

Yes,

ovWSAutoRecalculation can now be made off (flag 85) or SetWSAutoRecalcState (was introduced by VW14), and this does make a huge difference. Still, text or xml files would be faster, a lot faster.

{ ... }
SetObjectVariableBoolean(worksheetHandle, 85, FALSE); 
{ auto-recalc off, or performance issue }

{ do something 15000 times, or better, as many as max ws lines! }

SetObjectVariableBoolean(worksheetHandle, 85, TRUE); 
{ restore recalculation for the worksheet }

orso

Edited by _c_