Stair Tool then model

nothing beats good ol' 3D Modeling and ViewPorts.

It depends what you're objective is. If it's to create a detailed model of a non-standard stair, then yes.

If, however, you simply what to model standard stairs for multi-storey buildings, say, then a well designed stair tool will easily beat manual modelling. Indeed manual modelling won't be viable for most us.

if it was a standard stair and i was using it on a multi-storey building and the stair tool could not do a good job of it, then i would make my stair a custom model symbol and use it every where. since it is standard.

the "standard" stairs that i have done for a 5 story building were some type of metal frame work that was filled w/ concrete. i doubt the stair tool could model it just like it was built. ie metal frame work w/ concrete.

so...again, i would use the stair tool in the beginning of the project then custom model it later.

Edited by digitalmechanics

please see attached pic for the "standard" stairs that i used for a 5 story bldg. i doubt the stair tool can model it just like it is built.

i am not saying that improvements should not be made to the tool, just that one should not beat his head against the wall trying to make the tool do something it can't.

my suggestion is to use the tool in the beginning of the project when things need to stay ?loose? then, if needed, custom model when the time is right. especially if it is a standard item that is used many times.

it is not as hard a people think.

treads first, then add the rest.

if it was a standard stair and i was using it on a multi-storey building and the stair tool could not do a good job of it, then i would make my stair a custom model symbol and use it every where. since it is standard.

By 'standard' I don't mean they're all the same, I mean in the sense of being conventional.

i doubt the stair tool could model it just like it was built. ie metal frame work w/ concrete.

Perhaps, but I'm not talking about the current stair tool, I said a "well designed stair tool" (e.g. Cadimage Tools stair). In any case we wouldn't be looking to model it "just like it was built." As architects we only need to convey certain information in the model, mostly key dimensions. For most other information we employ details.

P.S. The typical construction we use in multi-storey buildings is in-situ or precast concrete.

my suggestion is to use the tool in the beginning of the project when things need to stay ?loose? then, if needed, custom model when the time is right. especially if it is a standard item that is used many times.

That's how we use it except that we convert to 2D, not manually modelled 3D (which is not viable for us).

Naturally we?d rather be working in 3D full time but VW isn?t a viable option for us in this regard.

Consider this workflow :

1) A&E drawings + details for approvals & permits.

2) Shopdrawings from suppliers & fabricators ( based on approved planset ) with revisions to planset noted.

3) Revised A&E planset with new plans ( if req'd ), elev, sections, details ... and 3D modeling ( for interferences ) based on Shopdrawings.

Steps 2-3 are electronic... DXF/DWG/PDF documents via servers.

Actually, VW is proficient at this.