Joining Multiple Curved Pipes to make 1 Lighting Position

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You need 2D AND 3D geometry.

It sounds like you only have 3D objects and when they are converted to a lighting position the only 2D geometry is the label. If you switch to a 3D view you will see the lighting position.

If you look in the resource browser you should see a symbol with the positionName-Sym. Edit the 2D portion and add the 2D geometry and the position will now display in 2D and 3D.

Preston,

You can't insert a symbol into itself. When you are entering the symbol (when you right click to edit), you must have already had the symbol tool active.

The easiest way to fix your problem, in my opinion, is to right click and choose edit 3D. Draw your position again in 2D, tracing over the existing 3D geometry. Alternately, you could duplicate the existing 3D geometry and then choose Modify>Convert>Convert to Lines as a quick way to create some 2D geometry. When you exit the symbol, it will become hybrid (have both 2D and 3D versions).

Good luck,

Kevin

Thank you so much for your assistance here?

Here?s what I?m doing:

1. Tracing my 3-arcs over the old AutoCAD dwg import

2. Duplicate+Offset each of the 3

3. Connect/Combine each arc to create two large arcs

4. Add lines at the two ends of the combined arcs to make what would be a long 2?/50mm OD pipe

5. Extrude the 2D pipe to be a 50mm X 50mm square 3D tube

6. Modify>Create Symbol ? Modify>Convert>Convert to Lighting Position

And that?s where I lose it! And then the above mentioned error.

As Kevin notes; I right-click on the pipe (now a symbol) and choose Edit 3D Component ? the Edit Symbol window is blank other than a locust point in the center of the screen.

Still not able to create a usable LP. It did stay visable the last time--but now i cannot assign it a Z: height. Reverts to zero. (???)