symbols attached record does not show in new drawing

i have a symbol that i created, it has (1) record attached, and some of those fields are linked to text.

in the drawing it is in i can insert it and the record is attached, no problem.

i create a new blank file, the same symbol is active from the resource browser and it goes in fine.

i go to an existing document, and do the same thing. the symbol comes in, but there is no trace of the record or of it being attached to the symbol.

what am i doing wrong?

VW-Dsgnr 2009

Mc OS 10.5.8

If the record is attached to the symbol definition (if it is already selected when you put the symbol into the drawing), then the record definition will be imported with the symbol.

If the record is separate (if you have to check the box in the data pane of the object info palette to attach it to each symbol instance), then you will have to import the record separately.

GWS, only import when it works!

Pat, the record is attached.

it seems that it only imports or goes into a 'new' file properly when the file that the symbol is in is open....

i can get it to go into some existing files, BUT it still does not go into the existing file i want it to properly.

any ideas?

Thanks

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

chstech, if this works in a new blank document but doesn't in a particular document, look for a name conflict. Particularly, is there something in your target document that has the same name as the record you're attaching? Is the record named something generic (therefore risky) like "window" or "door" or the like? Try renaming the record in your original document (use the Resource Browser to do this) and see if this helps.

it is weird, but it only works when i have the master file it resides in open. when that master file is closed, the record does not attach or come into the new document. i did check and delete anything named the same in the destination file. i am only using the resource browser, not copy/paste with the symbol, why would it only work if the master file is actually open?

thanks...

I just tried it importing the symbol with attached record in VW2009 Designer Service Pack 5 and on import of the symbol I got both the symbol and the record. I used the Resource Browser and Browse a Document to open the sample file to import from.

1. Are you running the latest Service Pack? (I believe it is 5)

2. Have you tried restarting your Mac?

3. Have you tried creating a new user on the Mac and running VW from that user? That can help determine if VW or your user account are the problem.

4. Have you tried reinstalling VW from the disk and running all the updates?

Let us know if any of the above help.

Robert,

so i just re-read your post. i renamed the record in my master file, then re-imported the symbol folder into my problem file. the newly named record came in. but i cant see any evidence of the record with the old name. i am unable to rename the new record (i called it 'XXX V2') back to 'XXX'

VW says it is already in use. Is it invisible? and i am now noticing that i have a 'Sketch Style' that is in my resource browser that is named 'XXX' i delete the sketch and am able to rename the record. there are no sketches defined in my master file.

continuing on with things i notice, when my master file is closed, and i look at it in the resource browser, then records are showing up in 'Sketch Styles' and are listed twice. Now when my master file is opened, and i look at it in the resource browser, then records are showing up in 'record formats' are listed once, and there are no sketch styles.

Also i have noticed that when i re import the symbol folder it asks me to rename the incoming symbol folder. my symbol folder name has a '&' in it and when asked to rename it then has '&&' in the name. is this a character i should be avoiding?

and now it seams that the records wont attached to my symbols anymore and if they do, all the default info is gone.

Thanks i hope you can help.

Edited by chstech

It sounds like a corrupted file. If you have much more work to do on this project, you should probably try to get it straightened out before it bites you again.

Option 1: Send the file to NNA Tech Support. They can sometimes fix corrupted files.

Option 2: Reference the Design Layers into a new file and then break the references keeping the data. Recreate the Sheet Layers and Viewports. Copy and Paste the Viewport Annotations into the correct viewports.