Z value (elevation) from stake objects in worksheets

a worksheet will do this for you. You can create a worksheet using the Create Report... command, but that will only do half the job. the other half you have to do manually, you have to edit the header to =ZCENTER to get the elevation of each stake object.

If you need a tutorial on worksheets, check out the short sharp manuals i have written

Jonathan, thanks for your reply. I'd tried =ZCENTER before and got no value in return -- VW doesn't seem to interpret it as a function, at least not 2008, which for better or worse is what I'm still on. Is it perhaps simply that VW can't obtain a Z value for a stake object but would be able to do so for a 3D locus? Though if I understand it correctly, the stake object is positioned using a 3D locus. Or is it functionality that was added with '09 or '10?

Thanks,

Markus

i think it is the way you have created the report. listing objects by their layer and type rather than their record formats. Creating a report using the record attached to objects is a powerful and easy way to get the information attached to objects. I have written manuals on this. If anyone wants a simple introduction to worksheets, get the Essential Tutorial Manual from the training guides page:

http://www.nemetschek.net/training/guides.php

can you send me the site model part of you file, and I'll see if I can make it work.

• 1 month later...

OK, I've finally upgraded to 2010 and ZCENTER does now work, although oddly I'm having to divide the elevation by 12, even though I have the field set to use the doc's default dimension unit -- feet & inches -- but that's no big deal.

Now I'm trying to extract the ID Number in a database field as well, but can't seem to find a record field for it. Is this a piece of data that is embedded in the PIO that you can't access in a worksheet? The Stake record format does have "Stake #" and "polyline ID", but those are different than the "ID Number" that you can set in the Stake Object's OIP.

Cheers,

Markus