Help for Spotlight Beginner

Merlin820

I am very very VERY new to Vectorworks. I have Vectorworks Student 2009, and I am using the Spotlight features to create a lighting plot for a play. My friend, who is much more experienced in Vectorworks, sent me a file he created of our high school theatre. It already has a number of lights in it (but they are all the same type of light, a Source 4, not sure of what degree), and it has a set on it for the last plot that he created. I need to take this skeleton and make it mine for the plot I am creating. I have many many questions, and I would really appreciate answers to any (or all) of them.

First, how do I add additional lighting instruments? Months ago, I downloaded 2008 Student, and was able to figure it out in that version, with the help of the guide found here: http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~theatre/lightingguide/spotlight.pdf

I tried this with 2009 with my friend's file open, but I couldn't find lights anywhere.

Second, how do I delete the set that is already in the file he sent me?

Third, how do I create my own set for my plot?

Fourth, what is the difference between layers, classes, and sheets? What does each mean, what are they, what does changing them do, how do I change them, etc.

Fifth, once I get everything else figured out, how do I print it? I need to print it to a 1/4" or 1/2" = 1'0" scale, and I can't print it bigger than 24"x36". I also need to include a "Unit Key" to the instruments I use, and a Title Block, with the show name, date of production, etc. How do I add these things when it comes time to print?

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out. And please remember that I am a beginner, and I hardly any of the technical terms involved with the software, so dumbing-down your answer would not be a bad idea. Thanks! :)

I've been working with autocad and vector works on an irregular basis for several years now and still consider myself a beginner due to the amount of work it takes up in my semester.

People tend to learn in leaps after practicing and working and studying on a regular basis. Good luck.

You mentioned Harvard. Google" Cornell vectorworks tutorial for the theatre". I found them very helpful.

Also check out you tube.

I don't particularly care for Nemetschek's tutorial for lighting because it doesn't include a disc with structured exercises like their other tutorial books AND I've purchased them all.

Finally, if you can capture an element on the drawing by a left mouse click or whatever, you will most likely be able to use the delete button to get rid of it.

Why don't you try an entry for each of the issues you've presented and list the topic. That way others can see what questions have already been addressed and maybe we can be more productive in helping you out. Keep up the spirit!

Ant