Best Way to Upgrade?

A month back upgraded from 2008 to 2009 and now 2010.

What is the best way to upgrade?

We have a master project file [not set up as a template] but a file we start all our projects from and do as a save as for the new project. This was set up in 2008 with all our classes, layers, titleblock, preferences, etc.

Now in terms of VW upgrade management should one start again with a fresh new file or should one convert the older file and do a save as or should one import the classes and layers and resoures from a converted file into a new 2010 file?

Not found any guidance on this and we all must upgrade at some time.

What do you do?

I hope you back up the previous version before you do the batch converts.

I don't mean to be petulant, but I read your post as having an almost, well not flippant exactly, but I can't think of a better term regarding data protection.

Too much of my income over the last 10 years has been based on being able to access old data for me to not always recommend the belt and braces approach to data storage. Disk space if cheap. You never know when you will need to go back to an older version of either the file or the application.

RAM is volatile. Power has fluctuations. Hard disks crash. Users delete things. Software has bugs. Any of the above could easily ruin your day if you don't have backups.

I recommend the following (yes it seem excessive, but how much time would it take to recreate ALL your files if you had a major disaster).

1. Immediate (Hourly) File level backup (Time Machine). This saves you accidentally delete a file or get a corrupted file.

2. Daily disk level backup. Make a bootable clone every day. For extra points, make two and keep one off site (take your home backup to work and your work backup home).

3. Daily/weekly off-site backup. Upload it to the cloud or make sure you have a copy off site. Preferably a long way off site (100's of miles). Far enough so that it won't be hit by the same natural disaster. (eg. If you live in Houston, don't send your backups to New Orleans).

4. Long term off-site archive. Pick the final versions and get them stored off-site also. A single DVD can probably hold most of what you need for this. Just make sure it is kept up to date.

Sorry for the rant, but sometimes I just can't help myself.

We do a back up. Save every 15 mins, overwriting original file and saving each revision as a seperate file. All files / date on host pc which gets back up daily with Outback onto a remote hard drive, which I take everywhere I go - even on holiday with me! Always have 2 copies of complete back up.

Decided to set up new 2010 file as the new master file and import classes, layers and resources from old master file.

Never done a complete batch convert as previous advice on here suggested a file by file basis which is what we have stuck with. Also 2010 will open all old versions so we have access to old files if and when needed.

I use a printer service when a client needs more copies than I'm willing to print at my home office. They not only provided the FTP software to transfer print files to their server but provide file backup at no charge. Now that's hard to beat! Check around, maybe your local print service can do the same for you. Their off site and most have excellent printing rates (unless you need color or mylar).