newbie cant create a window!

bertandmax

Hi all

i have been using VW for a couple of years, but only for 2D retail design work. I do quite a bit of 3D modelling, but that tends to be in Cinema 4D.

We have bought a new house, and it needs quite a lot of internal work doing, so i figured it would be a good opportunity to learn how to use the software a bit better (i have VW 2009 Architect, on a MAC).

I have the plans of the house, which i have extruded as walls, and I also used the 'walls' tool to create some walls, but when i click on the window icon, nothing happens. I am in plan/top view when i click the icon. The 'door' function seems to work, but not the window

any ideas?

thanks

mark

To be precise, layers have their own name space.

All in all, I frequently get caught in this a situation, despite my ?rigorous? naming procedures. One of these days, a user will excplicitly name something either ?Zaphod? or ?Heart_of_Gold? and some of my menu commands cease to work?

I wonder if this works:

PROCEDURE What_is_in_a_Name; 

VAR aRose : STRING; 

BEGIN
aRose := STRDIALOG('What is in a name', 'rose'); 
ALRTDIALOG(CONCAT('The rose is of type ' , GETTYPE(GETOBJECT(aRose))); 
END; 

RUN(What_is_in_a_Name); 

Bertandmax

Ray & Pat are saying there may be something else on your drawing called window that is blocking you using the window tool.

You say "I have the plans of the house, which I have extruded as walls, and I also used the 'walls' tool to create some walls". Sorry if I am misreading this but you should use the wall tool not the extrude tool to create all walls, because doors and windows won't "stick" into extrudes the way they do into proper walls. You can also create components within walls (linings, framing/bricks, cavities, veneers, etc), and walls can join automatically.

Kool Aid frequently (& deliberately) spells things back to front ..........