Wall assembly detail

ChrisA

Hi

Up until now i have been able to create satisfactory wall assemblies using graphics applied to a cut section of a viewport. I am thinking there must be an easier way.

In a perfect world I would like to create a section of a wall that would show all the layers/materials that go into it (typical wall assembly) when I create the section. All the information is there, obviously, since I can see it in plan view on the design layer. But how do I get it to show up in section.

So far, I have not been able to get anything other than a simplified graphic of the section and I must then add in all the different components using the 2D tools with the different fills necessary. The wall i am working on now has about six different elements.

Also, the inside of the wall is made up of 1 1/2 furring strips 16oc. I would like to see them in plan as well as section. Is that possible?

I have attached an image of what I am talking about.

Thanks for the help

Chris

PS if this has been covered in another post just direct me there. unfortunately I could not find anything

ChrisA, this ability was added to VW's Architect in a version later than 12.5.1 (don't quote me on this, but I seem to recall it being new in version 2009). So in the current version (2010) the user can use (or create) pre-defined "Wall Styles" which can have "Components" each of which can be assigned a 2d graphic attribute (eg: hatch fill, whatever). Then, in a Section VP of the wall, follow J.Lucas' tips above. The components with attributes will be in the VP.

No matter how advanced CAD software becomes, creating good sections will always be a lot of work. Because of this I still favor the use of symbol libraries. They are easy to edit and already annotated. I have over the years created very detailed sections that I use over and over again. I actually have so many that I should start selling them. Section viewports can still be useful to use as a guide or template when editing a section symbol from a library.

Indeed.

There's no point in modelling every piece of concrete, steel or timber and every detail just in case someone would like to generate a section across them.

I consider sections mainly as vehicles of design, just as floor plans are. I have in fact had jobs in which sections have been more important than floor plans.

This of course means that the VW approach of sections being just depictions of floor plans is unsatisfactory.