VA Reports/Schedules?

visard

I had some trouble creating schedules from my symbols and decided to use doors and windows from the tool palette. Each item was edited and schedules were created with the VA Create Schedule Tool. Worked well enough but I've noticed that record formats were not created and fictitious data categories (such as sills) are showing up on the schedule which I cannot control since I can't find the source. Anyone familiar with this phenomenon?

Thanks for your insights in advance.

The Create Schedule command just pulls a predefined worksheet from a different file. If you don't like what is there, then just create your own.

The Door and Window schedule are in Libraries:Defaults:Reports~Schedules:Architectural Reports.vwx

From the factory it is located at the above path in the Applications:Vectorworks folder.

The best place to edit these is in your User Folder:Library:Application Support:Vectorworks:2008: and the above path.

Just duplicate and move the Architectural Reports.vwx file and then open and edit it. You can delete any columns you don't need and add any that you do need or change the formatting so it looks like you want it to.

ps. Just because you are not using sills does not mean you door objects don't have sills. ;-)

Thanks, Pat. I'm trying to understand the correlation between the VA schedule and the window/door edit palette. You've noted previously that the data base header formula is '=recordname.fieldname' but I'm seeing a disconnect between the edit palette 'field name' and the schedule 'field name'. Is there a third data element?

Oh, Grasshopper. Do you think you are ready to learn the secrets of the Worksheet Masters? ;-)

Each Plugin Object (PIO) has a data record attached to it that has the same name as the type of PIO. So a door has a Door record.

Whoever wrote the PIO gets to create the record. When they do, the can assign two names to each field in the record. One name is the visible name that shows in the OIP (Object Info Palette). The second name is the real name that is used inside the script of the PIO and this is also the name that you need to use in formulas in worksheets.

In addition, the author of the PIO can create hidden fields that do not show in the OIP at all.

In the Vectorscript Sharing forum there is a script I wrote that will create a worksheet that shows all of the fields of a PIO, both hidden and not and both sets of names. It even has one column that has the formulas in the correct format to copy and paste into a worksheet database header formula.

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=108487#Post108487

There is a post in the same forum by Robert Anderson if you need help figuring out how to use scripts.

I will also note that even with 35 Field Names in the window data palette, we don't seem to have one for muntin patterns although the VA schedule does have that category. When trying to work around by using the User Field 1, the result does not register, although if I use the Window Finish field name the data does show in the schedule. (?)

Nevertheless, when one generates an entirely new report, all fields (parameters) can be included. Even the hidden ones.

The ?title row? shows the ?visible names? (if any) whereas the ?header row? has all the secret formulae with ?true names?.

Knowing one's true or real name gives the possessor of it total control? The true name should never be revealed: only you and your mother should know it.

But Pat: how does your script deal with SDK plug-ins? (Yes, I could have tested?)

I will also note that even with 35 Field Names in the window data palette, we don't seem to have one for muntin patterns although the VA schedule does have that category. When trying to work around by using the User Field 1, the result does not register, although if I use the Window Finish field name the data does show in the schedule. (?)

Have you tried clicking on the Settings button in the OIP? There are lots more items you can change on windows and doors from the settings dialog box than can be accessed directly through the OIP.

Hmm? My mother would have known? Have to check if MY script will generate what I want.

----

For the benefit of Messrs. Hungadunga, Hungadunga, Hungadunga, Hungadunga, Grasshopper & McCormick:

Whenever you insert an object (or use a tool or issue a command of a specific kind), a Record is created in the file. This has Ramifications.