Parking Layout Tool

I just for the first time tried to use the parking spaces tool, both in 12.5 and 2009.

For angled parking spaces (well I tried 60?) it does not give the correct parking stall length.

If I set the space dimensions to 8'-6" x 18', then the actual space dimension is 8'-6" x 18'-4".

If I set the space dimension to 9'-0" x 18', then the actual space dimension is 9'-0" x 18'-2 1/4".

I'm afraid this makes the tool pretty useless for parking layout design.

I also can't figure out how this was the case in 12.5 and is still the case in 2009.

Regards,

Donald

I see the problem. Well there may be two problems.

1. Tool was designed by someone who never had to lay out parking spaces.

2. The stall depth is incorrectly figured. If someone can tell me how to insert a pdf here, I'll post it, but meanwhile I'll have to do it narratively.

In 90? parking the distance from the centerline (where the headlights are) of two adjoining lines of parking is also the depth of the stall. So if your spaces are 9'x18', and you have 5 spaces in each line, then the overall group is 45'x36'. OK? And the centerline of the group is 18' from the entry of the space. The tool handles 90? parking fine.

With angled parking the situation is different. If I have a group of 10 parking spaces, 5 in each line, and say the angle is 60?, the tool figures the stall depth based on the centerline of the group, to the outside edge of the group (the ends of the stripes at the entry). Parking space depth is not measured that way.

The parking space dimension is a rectangle that can be fitted within the angled lines (the stall width and depth) and the stripes only contain the rectangle, they go no further than needed.

That means that if you are sitting in the car, the right hand stripe goes from the corner by the right front headlight to the corner by the right rear taillight and that stripe distance is the stall depth. The tool is measuring instead from the front of the stall BETWEEN the headlights to the corner by the right rear taillight.

What this means is that for any angle less than 90?, the tool is always making the parking stall too long and the further away you get from 90? the greater the error. Also, the narrower the stall the greater the error. In all cases the stall width is correct.

Here are the dimensions it gives:

60? 9'x18'. Tool gives 18'-2 1/4"

60? 8'-6" x 18'. Tool gives 18'-4"

60? 7'-6" x 16'. Tool gives 16'-3 3/4"

45? 9'x18'. Tool gives 20'-11 1/2"

45? 8'-6" x 18'. Tool gives 21'-2 1/2"

45? 7'-6" x 16'. Tool gives 18'-10 1/2"

The moral hazard of parametric tools is evident here.

Regards,

Donald

Donald

This has been this way for some time now and NNA is fully aware of the issues. Maybe someone from NNA will weigh in on why the tool creates the type of spaces that are created.

Different Jurisdications do have differing requirements as to the depth definition for slanted parking spaces but as you rightly point out for many instances the tool is not representing the depth expected based upon the input.

JPA,

congrats on getting the new version out!

Saw your video. Seriously? This is the architect board and the tool you showed was a landmark tool. Parking along path is nice, but does it draw parking space dimensions correctly? Has the tool in architect been corrected?

And for that matter, architects in my 30 years of experience are the ones that lay out parking lots, not landscape architects so why is it a landmark tool and not an architect tool?

Regards,

Donald