VW 2009 Architect features & advantages v. SketchUp Pro's

I suggest that VW is way more appropriate for completing construction drawings, including detailed shop drawings.

However, I really encourage using SketchUp along side VW. You can use SketchUp to do conceptual design very fluidly, much more naturally (push/pull, spin about, instant feedback). It is really fun and easy to use. It is not an either-or kind of thing, you can have both and use them for what they are really good at.

And the client may really enjoy being able to take your SketchUp model for a spin. I have tried to show a client how to "drive" around in VW using the walkthrough mode, but man it is really tough for most people to get going. SketchUp is much quicker to learn the basics, so if it is a client that really wants to take the controls and spin about I recommend going SketchUp.

There comes a point in every design, however, when you are better off making the transition into VW. Not messing around with importing SketchUp, I mean just starting a fresh VW file. It you keep it simple and dirty in SketchUp you realize that you havn't wasted any time.

From there on out you might do a quick study in SketchUp, but pretty much in VW through completion.