VW 9 rendering

At conclusion of rendering I'm warned that the memory allocation must be increased to successfully complete all functions. Memory to VW 9 is already increased to 10X suggested! The screen shows the rendered object, but the rendering options list shows that the screen is still in the 'wireframe' mode. The exported image shows the wireframe version, not a rendered one. Any fixes to this? VW 9 is useless until images can be exported.

I have been producing 3D models of POP displays with lots of different labels. I have set up my G4 533 and PowerMac 9500/Newer 400 G3 to run with 300 megs allocated to Vectorworks from a total of 640 real megs of ram. Renderings seem to take about 2 hours to run. Note: Be careful with images you map. If you have problems go back into the images and reduce them one by one. try to keep individual sizes down to about 400 to 600K occasionally I will map a single image to 1500K.

i get the same error. even with a relativly simple model. as for the larger model (duplications of the previous) renderworks just bails out of this. i've tried running this on a G4 450 with 200 megs assigned to vectorworks and on a Ti G4 400 with 150 megs assigned and no luck whatsoever.

i haven't changed my model making practices from 8.5 and these models do work within that version although somewhat slow.

anybody got any bright ideas or do we all just revert back to 8.5

Alistair

rj, Are you still using VW 8? I've cranked VW 9's memory allocation to the max with the same faulty results. VW 8 works fine on the same machine with far less memory devoted to it. CURRENT SITUATION: 1.) I'm still using VW 8, 2.) there is an expensive, useless white elephant occupying 78 MB on my hard drive, and 3.) I'm patiently awaiting Nemtschek N.A. to come up with a fix. Hello Nemetsheck. Anybody home?

Steve Frushour

I am not using VW * but I still have it installed jus in case. I have found that 9 does not handle old textures well so if you are working with both VW 8 and 9 you will from time have problems. Also I have noted VW 9 is very picky about what it applies textures to. I had a ceiling that was extruded with holes subtracted via extruded cylinders that would bomb my machine any time I tried to use renderworks.

But I really like the new stuff in VW9 and and I can't wait until it all works.

Bob T

tech support told me that the only solution is to give VW9 as much memory as possible. if this means turning on virtual memory so be it.

how much you may ask? as much as it takes so you don't get this error anymore.

as far as a fix goes they beleive that this memory load may be lightened slightly in 9.0.1 but can't guarantee. as the problem stems from (as i see it) VW and RW running within the same memory allocation. this may work better if they were separate as in VW8. of course this goes against the marketing speach that one has to listen to while on hold for tech support that states 'the integration of VW and RW allows for faster render times'

lets hope 9.1 will guarantee, as i can't believe that we are expected to upgrade our machines to 1 gig of ram just to do simple renderings within this program.

my 2 cents

alistair