Section Viewport/Workgroup Reference

I have a VW12 file where I've referenced in several other files. I have then created a section viewport of one of the referenced drawings. When I update the reference the section viewport's crop & annotation remains, but the actual section information (the 2D drawing) is missing.

Does this mean I should establish the section viewport in the original file? If so, I didn't think I could reference a viewport from one document to another, so how does one do this?

I could break the link, but that sort of defeats the idea of using referenced drawings.

Any thoughts?

CB, Thanks for the reply

No, this project is a VW10 file that was converted to 12 a year or more ago, put on the shelf for several months, now back on the board. Our rule is once a project is onto construction drawings it is finished in that iteration of the programme.

We don't batch convert larger files that are quite far along the pike as we've had issues in the past with FUNNY STUFF happening to drawings.

By FUNNY STUFF I mean lots of non billable hours fixing, finding & redrawing lost information.