WTF??

mr. iagea

Okay, so I open my document, no changes. I notice that one of my doors looks like this (see attached image).

Any idea what might have caused this?

I even cut this offender out, and replaced it with a known good exact copy of the same door from a previous file, and it STILL came in looking like this. What's up?

Thanks, that fixed it.

Ok, is it me, or is this highly stupid? How do I submit this as a bug, because if this is a "feature", some engineer at NNA needs to have his head examined.

And while we're on this topic, I'm going to do everything in my power this morning not to rant about yet another ostensibly idiotic GUI thing. But seriously, the arrowheads, er I mean, markers. Okay, never mind...

It makes no sense to have to click a teeny arrowhead to tell the program that you're going to have an arrowhead, but then to APPLY the arrowhead, you have to select the arrowhead you want from a totally separate menu. Even if that menu is right next to the APPLY "button" (I use that term so loosely, it fits like a bedsheet on a flea).

A more sensible approach to this function is to have the arrowhead type menu be the only application method, and include a "None" option. Right? You either have the arrowhead or you don't. There is no third option. Unless of course you're an NNA engineer, in which case you have a special fourth dimensional third option where you have the arrowhead, but not really until you spend three hours finding out the super secret second half of the puzzle to apply the arrowhead. Something Yours Truly suffered before discovering the NNA Arrowhead Application Special Sauce. Not unlike the Worksheet Column Sort Chiclet Moving Thing).

This lack of a "None" arrowhead option becomes more of an Achilles heel when one is setting up a class and the line should be devoid of arrowheads. To the unwashed, it seems that a new class's line options have, by default, arrowheads and with no way to remove them. It is totally unclear that those arrowheads won't be applied unless one clicks the annoying small arrow symbol in an annoyingly small attributes palette.

Yes, yes, I get the whole global attributes thing. But is that really a good idea? How many of us have stumbled upon that, forgetting to change the class, not realizing the arrowhead is selected until one of your doors has every line with an arrowhead on it (yeah, THAT made sense!). Global attributes are what classes are meant for.

IMHO, NNA has much to learn about GUI, and could learn a great deal about elegant design from the erstwhile Macromedia's FreeHand vector drawing application, specifically versions 10-MX, wherein ALL editable attributes for ANY selected object were available from an Object Inspector Palette (a term I also use loosely to describe the incredible fickle OIP in VW).

To sum up:

Arrowheads, nee markers, should be applied with a SINGLE function, that being a menu that selects the type of arrowhead desired, with an option of "None".

The Stroke/Fill/arrowheads functionality could (should?) be duplicated into the OIP, as these are functions that are applicable to a selected object. Again, much to learn from FreeHand here.

Just my fun little rant, albeit spawned from an unfun little foray into NNA wasting my time with some highly stupid arrowheads all over one of my doors. GRR. I guess it's my own fault: I PAID for this torture. ;-D

Wow, Charlie, that was pretty good!

Incidentally, you can also get rid of those wall lines across your doorways - you might have the WD-Ceiling class or thresholds turned on, or it may be that Trim & Sill settings need adjusting. In other words, there are a myriad of ways these lines can appear, and you are well on the way to being the super sleuth you need to be to work this program!