Need help setting default view when editing a symbol.

khumphries

I'm pretty sure that there's a preference that I need to set to help me out here - hopefully someone can help me figure it out.

When I'm working in a drawing and I want to edit a symbol I double-click the symbol and it moves my view to be far away from the symbol. I have to zoom out, find the symbol amongst the grayed objects, and zoom in to the symbol. The symbol, in editing mode, is usually located at or very near the origin (0,0) near the faint cross hairs, as expected. The view that it takes me to when editing is the same distance from origin as the copy of the symbol that I double-clicked is from the design layer origin. In other words if the symbol on the design layer is located at -100',-100' and I double-click that symbol to edit it, I will be immediately taken to a view -100',-100' from the symbol, assuming the within the symbol the object is located at or near 0,0.

This seems like a setting has accidentally been disabled - I can't imagine why I would prefer this to function this way - can someone please help me force Vectorworks to zoom in on the symbol when editing it?

Thanks.

It appears that it may be that during creation the symbol was arbitrarily offset from the page 000 origin ( This is common with Acad symbols as their origin is the lower left of the page not the center ).

When this happens the easiest way to correct the problem is to jot down the center coordinates of the offset,

then reset the symbol to the 000 origin.

Then ... in the drawing you will need to select all those newly moved symbols and move them back by the offset amount.

Yes ... a hassle ... and reinforces the protocol

for always creating symbols at the page origin.

to khumphries

could you solve this most iritating problem that only

started with VW 2009?

it is strange if you create a symbol from an object at lets say -500/-500 and an other one that was located at -500/-600 and than edit on of it you see the other symbol greyed in the background but at 0/0. where you have to zoom to.and i cannot think of many reason you want to see somthing else while editing an symbol..in groups i do but not in symbols.

i thougt i missed a checkbox too!!( like viewports keep view after editing)

So please Nemetchek developers if someone wants to edit a symbol you probably want to see it! so it should be center of the screen and when finished, back to where you started....as it was before!!! so please give us the old and good behavior back - maybe with a preference. ()center symbol when doubleclick to edit () see others while editing symbols