Stretch Function?

HOUCAD

Is there a stretch command in Vectorworks? I know the scale objects command can work in only one direction but it doesnt seem to do what I am looking for. What I want to do is stretch a floor plan through a few different sections. I need to take out 1'-6" split between 3 different sections. In ADT I would stretch the areas to reposition walls and I could do a crossing polyline to zigzag my way through the areas of a floor plan I want to stretch.

It VW it seems I have to move the walls then reposition my doors and windows and retrim my walls and readjust my room spaces instead of just stretching everything together. Is there another way of doing this?

What everyone forgot to tell you though its that if you hold down option while drawing the Marquee you can zigzag through the floor plan as you desire. Just make sure you do not start this Marquee over any filled object as it will instantly select that object and stop the Marquee function of the 2d Reshape tool.

And yes the 2d Reshape tool does work with objects selected while in a 3d view. But beware as it will stretch only in the 2d screen plane and not in a 3d workplane.

My favorite command in AutoCad is the stretch command, although it is a bit convoluted in its execution. Since then, I have taken to using VectorBits' Stretch Tool for Vectorworks, which is similar to the AutoCad stretch, in that it can stretch by any two points, and objects do not need to be selected. It seems that the Vw 2D reshape requires that you select objects, and drag from a point inside the stretch marquee.

I take that AutoCAD does everything exactly the way you would have wanted even if you had never used it...

No that isn't what I mean. I have used AutoCAD since about 1992 so it is what I am used to and the way I have always drawn on computer. It is just taking some getting used to for me. I learned ACAD very quickly and the learning curve with VW has been slow for me.

One thing that is not just familiarity is most things in VW simply take more clicks to perform than they do in AutoCAD. That is hard to get used to when I have refined my workflow in ACAD to the fewest clicks possible to perform a task.

I don't mean to be knocking Vectorworks, I am getting used to it but it seems to be based more on a graphics engine like Photoshop or Illustrator which is great for working with images but not my first choice of format for precision drafting and design.

I wonder if anyone has done a guide for AutoCAD users learning Vectorworks. I am finding many things are compatible but I need to learn what VW calls them. I would not have thought that a 2D reshape tool would be used to stretch a floor plan with 3d wall objects. Calling it a stretch tool would have made more sense to me.

Is there a way to create keyboard aliases for commands? I see most things are special keys and single letter commands. I don't even know what some of these special keys are. Yea I am new to Mac as well. I have always used 1 or 2 letter aliases for most commands and had toolbars for others. I use a combination of key and toolbar entry and rarely use the menus. It would help if I could set up familiar keyboard shortcuts.

Customize With the little tine Arrow at the bottom of any of the Tool Palettes or Menu "Tool-Workspaces-Workspace Editor.

Just Remember Vectorworks is primarily Noun-Verb in tool operations for most of them anyway and it will help.

You need to Right Click, or option click, to see if the various tools have other options that are not readily apparent as many have what are hidden functions.

One thing that is not just familiarity is most things in VW simply take more clicks to perform than they do in AutoCAD. That is hard to get used to when I have refined my workflow in ACAD to the fewest clicks possible to perform a task.

I don't mean to be knocking Vectorworks, I am getting used to it but it seems to be based more on a graphics engine like Photoshop or Illustrator which is great for working with images but not my first choice of format for precision drafting and design.

You're spot-on: object-verb graphics, word-processing and spreadsheet programs are pretty much similar to VectorWorks. It is indeed based on the Apple Lisa/Macintosh concept, so badly imitated by Microsoft Windows.

Where is it that you lose precision in VW? In short: what's your problem, mate?

Where is it that you lose precision in VW? In short: what's your problem, mate?

Chill out mate. I am sorry if my frustration with having to totally rethink the way I have done things for the last 10-15 years upsets you. I am not about to get into a pissing match with you over which way is better. I am simply trying to find some common reference so I can use VectorWorks as efficiently as I can ADT/ACA.

As far as precision goes, I am looking at VW drawings done by people who have used VW for a few years and the precision leaves a lot to be desired. It is my job to improve that. When we have to send our drawings for others to use they complain that walls are misaligned and the drawings are not very precise. When drawing something myself to make sure it is precise I am finding that the snaps are sometimes difficult and walls end up misaligned. I spend way too much time fixing things I drew very carefully. I am not sure what the problem is really but I don't have the same issues when I design with ADT/ACA. The osnaps and wall cleanups simply work better in ACA.

I am still learning Vectorworks and I like many of the features but Autodesk has been developing BIM for a long time. VW is a new kid on the block in the BIM world. From v12 to 2009 the improvements are substantial but I think they still have a ways to go.

I do very much appreciate the help I have received from people here who have directed me to the VW tools and methods that are similar to what I am used to using. I have a million other questions I will post when I get around to it.

OK. Now I know what your problem is, mate! You expect program B to be the same as program A, only better. For drafting, as it appears.

As a free-lance consultant, I've gone through thousands of drawings created with AutoCAD and lack of precision is the common denominator in them. Well, lack of consistency, structure and discipline is of course even more prominent.

By the way, Autodesk is the new kid on the block as comes to BIM.

By the way, Autodesk is the new kid on the block as comes to BIM.

Compared to what? Not VectorWorks. I know there are other programs out there but I am comparing VW to ADT-AutoCAD Architecture.

Many of the new BIM friendly features of VW have only come out in v2008 and v2009. I have been using the BIM concept with ADT since about 98. In the early 90's I was using a very early version of AEC 3D modeling extension for AutoCAD.

Things must be very different where you are from. Total opposite in fact.

Eg. compared to VectorWorks. Yes, things are different here and in all the countries I've worked in.

You must be confusing BIM with the IFC protocol! No, they are two entirely different concepts. IFC is at present still a pipe dream. And as comes to your Weapon of Choice, the Colt revolver model 1888 or whatever is your firearm obsession, even Autodesk advises architects to migrate to Revit.

No. Actually you are confusing BIM with 3D-modeling. Even worse.

I think you are misunderstanding what I am getting at.

I have said clearly that I am simply trying to learn the most efficient way to use vectorworks and the best way for me to do that is to find the equivalent tools and procedures that I am used to using. We are dealing with the same kind of design software so there must be some common elements between them. You just seem to want to nitpick about my personal position on things and make false assumptions about them.

No confusion between BIM and 3d modeling here.

The information you can attach to any object in ADT/ACA is limitless. It can manage all your project data as well. In VW12.5 you had 4 lines of info you could add to a wall. In 2009 you have 8 data fields attached to a wall. Can custom data fields be added? If so, how? This is the kind of help I am looking for. I know how to add any information I want to anything in ACA. If the same can be done in VW it is not very clear to me how this is done.

I don't wish to bicker with anyone about which is better, that is relative and subjective.

Revit is great, many are migrating to it. I have Beta tested Revit since it was first bought by Autodesk. I have also beta tested ADT and ACA since 2003 and they are continuing to improve it. They have merged many features between the two in the last few years. There is a lot I like about both but I am more familiar with how ADT/ACA works so it is my preference. VectorWorks is just different and the transition has been difficult.

The information you can attach to any object in ADT/ACA is limitless.

Indeed. This also makes these ?attributes? totally pointless and by and large useless. But then again, I may be wrong! Maybe an AutoCAD file comes with a data dictionary and schema?

Wow! One can indeed attach to a Door an attribute relevant only to a Window! Limitless!

VectorWorks is just different and the transition has been difficult.

Ever thought of getting Professional Help?

If you mean training from VectorWorks we have it scheduled for next month. In the mean time I have only some tutorials and this forum to assist me. Most people here have been very helpful but you have just been a pompous jerk. Thanks for that.