Cabinet handles not showing

mr. iagea

So (sigh), another thing I've tried the first time that doesnt work as described. Frustration!

Okay, I've pulled in some kitchen cabinet symbols, set them all up nicely and then decided to add some handles (so the interior elevations look better). So, I select a placed cabinet symbol, scroll down in the OIP to the buttons for drawer and door handles, select my desired handle and it shows up on the cabinet. Great! But only for a moment...

Now, when I put handles on another cabinet, going through the exact same process, the handles do NOT show up on the second cabinet. AND, the handles I made on the first cabinet also disappear. So I go back to the first cabinet to re-place the handles (following the same procedure again). No luck. No handles. And from then on I cannot place handles on ANYTHING. They ALL disappear.

Ideas? Thanks!

UPDATE:

Okay, so I tried this in a separate, new blank file. When I place the cabinet the first time, handles show up okay, but when I changed the handle type to another handle, they disappeared. So, I changed them back again, the handles did not reappear. Zooming out, I noticed the handles now about three feet (scale considered) UNDER and IN FRONT OF the cabinets. Then, when I went to move the cabinet, the handles ended up a few feet BEHIND the cabinet (and still a part of the symbol). See the attached image file so you see what's happening on my screen. The small one with the two cabinets is the test file. Th larger one is my atual file, with wall classes off so I could find the handles. See them there, about 12' below and to the left of the kitchen? Yeah, man. That EXACTLY where I want my kitchen cabinet handles, NNA.

I've also attached the actual file, if anyone wants to see if that's happening on their machine.

Thanks a lot!

Edited by mr. iagea

Hi Charlie, I just tried this in both 2008 and 2009. As far as I can tell the implementation of this feature was very poor in version 2008 (see first attachment). On the positive side however it seems to be working exactly as expected in 2009 (see second attachment). Typical, huh?

If you care, you can examine the problem more closely by Ungrouping the cabinet object (which will result in a loss of all parametric capabilities) and checking out what's there. What I found was groups within groups within groups. No logic in it at all. If you dig deep enough you could probably move the handles to their proper location and then re-group everything... But it would probably be faster to create your own pulls/handles in 3d.

Okay, phew! Thanks, Peter. Yes, stuff like this is getting to be the norm (insert "grr" here). It's strangely relieving to see it's happening on your machine, too. I tried the ungrouping thing, too, and was astonished at the layers of groups.

Thanks for checking that out. Murphy's Law of software design got me again!

So, umm, any idea how to actually remove the handles? There doesn't seem to be a "None" option in the handles section of the OIP. My clients don't have trolls living under the house to manage all those handles...

• 1 year later...

I realize that I'm adding to a one-year old post, but for anyone out there who's also been too financially strapped to upgrade since VW2008:

I've been encountering the exact same problem with the cabinet pull placement, but have found that if you make the pull settings in the cabinet's OIP while you are in TOP view, they are placed correctly -- in any other view they seem to get placed correctly only about 1% of the time...

Cheers,

Markus

• 6 months later...

All of a sudden I am having the same problem with Vw2010 in one file where the cabinet pulls are 10'-8" behind the cabinet. They were behaving fine yesterday in this file. But I was having a problem where the cabinet PIOs were no longer showing up in 3D, only 2D.

The strange thing is if I copy and place the misbehaving cabinets in a new, blank file- the handles are in the correct place and they show up in 3D. I tried to delete and purge the bad cabinets from the original file, but when I copy and paste them back in, the handles are again in the wrong place and don't show up in 3D.

In the original bad file, I placed a new cabinet PIO and per Markus's suggestion I set the handle settings while in TOP view and the pull was still placed behind the cabinet. So it seems that once your file goes bad, it can't be fixed.

This is more of a general complaint, but once a file goes bad and someone on the Forum or at NNA says to copy and paste the data into a a new, clean file - it is really time consuming because of all the things that cannot be copied, such as VP's and saved views. It would be very helpful if instead, NNA provided a means to reliably repair and recover damaged files.

Regards,

Tim