Auto Classing

HOUCAD

I am trying to understand what turning on auto classing in the Standard Naming dialog does. I have set my layer standard to AIA-NCS and some things like dimensions go on the right class but some things go on the current layer.

With walls, depending on the prefix ext- or int- it will put them on the appropriate class but it uses the VW class names not the current class standard AIA-NCS. Do I have to set this in each wall style? what exactly does do?

If I open the library walls file and set the standard will it convert all the class names to AIA standard?

If I want every user in my office to automatically use the same auto classing for walls, doors etc., what is the best way to set this up? Is it something that can be configured with a shared set of preferences or a template drawing or is this set in the plugin that draws a wall or inserts a door or window?

Do I have to set up every wall style on every machine to go on the right class?

Is there a global style manager where I can edit all the wall styles or do they have to be edited on insertion. I guess if I open the library walls file I can edit all the defaults in one file but do these get updated and overwritten when VW is updated?

Should I create a custom library for the edited wall styles and keep that in my workgroup folders?

David

You can create your own custom set of Wall Styles that are either Auto Classed to a preconfigured Class or have them take on the Active Class. If you use Multiple Classes for Walls Such as Wall-Interior or Wall-Exterior then you may want to have the Wall Styles configured in so they go on the Active Class. You can also have the Exterior Structural Interior portions of a Wall Style each on its own class for varying purposes. So the Overall Wall Style Container is on one class while the parts are on different classes.

This Vectorworks file with your standard set of Wall Styles can be placed on a server for all to use or you can copy this file to each project folder as a common file that then can have the Wall Styles Referenced in to the Plan files. beware their are some issues with either setup in that if you Change the Name of the Wall Style after it is used in a Referenced manner the Plan file upon updating of the Referenced wall style will be broken as it is not recognized. It is best to create a fairly complete set of Wall Styles with logical names based upon your preferences before you start referencing these Wall Styles to the plan file.

The individuals in that have these Wall Styles referenced will not be able to edit them unless they open this Common Wall Style file.

David,

I would like you to post a bug to the following link to each of the tools or objects that don't follow the AIA-NCS naming that is in place. In other words, if a tool or object creates a new class that is based on VWArch, let us know so it can be fixed. Sometimes these slip through the cracks, especially when objects are new or have been significantly revised. Thanks!

http://www.nemetschek.net/support/bugsubmit.php

Thanks, this is helpful. I am building a typical wall styles library file that everyone will use. What I am still unsure of is what will show up in the wall styles list first when starting a new drawing. If all the default styles still show up it could be a bit confusing. A specific naming convention would separate them but I would still want to use prefixes for Int & Ext walls.

I guess beginning each standard wall style with a 1- would put them at the top of the list or can I have each computer use only the custom list? Is all the auto classing defined in the wall style or will VW read the int or ext and place the walls on the appropriate class?

We sometimes need to be able to create custom wall styles for a project. For example we had precast concrete wall panels with insulation embedded. Throughout the course of the project the engineers kept changing the thickness of the walls and position and thickness of the insulation within the wall. I would want to be able to redefine the wall style on the fly and have all the walls change. Having a central project wall style would be beneficial in cases like this. Would it be better to have a separate project wall style file for every project separate from the standard wall style file? Again I am interested in how my drafters will be able to use only the wall styles I want them to use.

I will do that when I have the time to re-investigate this. One question though. When I first installed VWA2009 I was using the standard VW class names. I may have at some point re-saved my drawing style library file. When you switch class standard, are the wall styles supposed to, or can they, take on the equivalent class names automatically? Is there a way to convert the embedded component class names in a Wall style library automatically? ie. is the class and layer mapping utility pre-configured to convert between the class naming styles defined in the Standard Naming utility? I thought since it asks if you want to convert existing classes to the new standard it would have done this but I guess I need to change the standard in the library files.

If this is the case then I will need to do that. We will be sticking with the AIA standards so once this is all set up we won't have to change it again.

Is there an option during install of VWA2009 that allows you to choose a standard? That would help a lot because I have 5 computers to upgrade to 2009.

Thanks

Thanks, this is helpful. I am building a typical wall styles library file that everyone will use. What I am still unsure of is what will show up in the wall styles list first when starting a new drawing. If all the default styles still show up it could be a bit confusing. A specific naming convention would separate them but I would still want to use prefixes for Int & Ext walls.

You can create defaults by storing a file with resources in either of two locations.

1. In the Vectorworks folder:Libraries:Defaults:Walls

2. In your user folder:Libraries:Application Support:Vectorworks:2009:Libraries:Defaults:Walls.

What ever is in those locations will show up in the defaults. The stuff in the user folder sorts to the bottom of the list. The good thing about putting it in the User folder is that if you have to upgrade or reinstall VW, it will not be changed/deleted.

I would create an alias/link to your Walls Standards file on your server and put it in every users folder. I would also delete (or move) the Wall Styles Imperial and Wall Styles Metric from the Vectorwork folder so you users don't see the style that ship with the application.

We sometimes need to be able to create custom wall styles for a project. For example we had precast concrete wall panels with insulation embedded. Throughout the course of the project the engineers kept changing the thickness of the walls and position and thickness of the insulation within the wall. I would want to be able to redefine the wall style on the fly and have all the walls change. Having a central project wall style would be beneficial in cases like this. Would it be better to have a separate project wall style file for every project separate from the standard wall style file? Again I am interested in how my drafters will be able to use only the wall styles I want them to use.

Once you use a style in a file, it is copied into that file and any changes you make in the external wall standards file will not automatically be copied over. Styles that have not been used are not copied into the file.

If you need to make a change to the standards file and have it propogate, you will have to manually go through each file and import the wall styles and tell VW to replace the existing wall styles.

Pat

If you need to make a change to the standards file and have it propogate, you will have to manually go through each file and import the wall styles and tell VW to replace the existing wall styles.

Pat

Ok, that makes sense. I will be using referenced drawings for my walls on large projects and all sheets in one file for smaller projects. so that will limit the number of files I would have to change. Is the resource browser the best way of updating styles between drawings. Just drag and drop? The browser is the equivalent of the style manager I am used to but can you exchange styles between multiple files or just between open files and the file selected in the resource browser?

Thanks a lot for your input.

The Reousource Browser is the only way to move resources between files. It would probably be best to pull the resources (styles) into each file by opening it.

I would probably use the Import command (in the resource browser bottom popdown menu) rather than the drag and drop as it should let you move multiple styles at the same time.

Pat

Ideally it would be best to reference the Wall Styles into each of the plan files so each plan is using the same resource upon updating of the reference to this Wall Style file. The method proposed requires one to re-import the resource to make sure it is updated but will give you more control of the update process as to which Wall Styles are brought in to the file again.

You can use this reference method but it may cause wall join issues upon updating and it will update all the walls from that file. In the reference method would suggest you have a Wall Style File per project copied from your office standard file, creating a start point.