Training Man. Vs VW training

What is the general opinion about learning Vectorworks/Renderworks from manuals/CD's compared to The Vw clasroom training?

I have been studying Renderworks (V.12.5..Fundamentals w RW).

As I can already do my 3D drawings in AutoCad (v2000) and import them into VW to render I am kinda sticking to AC for drawings and RW for rendering

to save time as I know the AC program.

However my goal was to eventually get into the VW for my drawings also. (At the time I only want to learn 1 at a time so when I know RW better was gonna try n switch the drawing.

I understand that classroom training would speed everything up a great amount compared to reading manuals etc. The Co. I work for has been pressuring me to switch over but is unwilling to pay for training.

Now get this....I had the opportunity thru a supplier to attend a 4-day FREE Vectorworks/Renderworks workshop.

When my company was presented w this I was told ...."FREE does not mean it includes my airfare or Hotel" So it was denied

but still under pressure to GET UP TO SPEED.

(I am a one man department) preparing floor plans, construction dwgs, perspectives and exploded view set-up dwgs

for the exhibit industry and am now getting into the rendering.

Based on the above info if I was to pay for this myself (relunctantly)is there enough companys using Vectorworks instead of AutoCad out there for it to be worth my while ...If I was to leave here eventually.

So basically, based on your peoples knowledge of the industry what are companys using out there in the USA.

I am only comparing VW to AC as I have no intention of starting a different program on top of these two.

Thank you,

Brendan, if you can find a private trainer near you this might a good option. As a trainer myself I can tell you that in a one-on-one setting, and with a literate & CAD-savvy student, I can usually get them off and running in a day or two. This doesn't mean they will know everything about the program (it's just too deep!), but they will know enough to be able to get work done, and to begin to discover their own optimal workflow.

What does your Co. expext you to do if they are not willing to lend a hand towards the 'upgrading/change over'.

Maybe you should ask yourself how important you are to them?

Why are they putting pressure on the change over? as in what do they see as the benifit of the change over?

Ultimatly, the Co. is putting pressure onto something they do not want to support and will loose more money cuase they did not want to pay training fees in something they want.

They are buying a "machine" that could produce a lot of good work, but no one has been trained to operate it, thus you loose productiveness and therefor they will LOOSE money.

Both programs work very well in the exhibition industry, but both have there pros and cons and limitations when used on it's own. Seen some owesome work done through AC, but with 3D MAX.

I personally feel VW to be a more simpler and quick drawing tool than AC, but battle a bit when I need to do detailed layouts. To me AC is more an architect(Interior Designer) program, but can be used to produce 3D's ,Whereas VW RenderWorks with Spotlight has quick tools to produce a Stage or exhibition setup in 3D veiwed in the Venue.

Just my opinion and comment.

I definitely think classroom training or one-on-one is the best way to go if you can afford it. You can still use the CD's as a supplement to the in person training.

As a trainer who has taught VW and is very proficient in AutoCAD, I can confidently tell you that your productivity will be enhanced greatly and the cost of training will pay for itself quickly. There is a trainer list on the Nemetschek website based on geography in addition to their in- house classes. Also if you feel like travelling to NYC you should consider my classes.

I think you should really consider doing your drawings in VectorWorks for a number of reasons.

1. The file size of the imported dwg 3D objects tend to be larger and may even be broken up into more mesh or triangulated objects.

2. Using this method, your rendering may become more processor intensive and take longer than when native VW models are used on complex projects.

3. If you are going to be preparing all the other design drawings you will save a lot of time doing everything in VW especially with some of the specialized tools.

As for VW industry relevance, I can say a good majority of exhibit, theatre and event planning professional in New York City area seem to use VW. Mostly because the learning curve is short and it is as intuitive as most of the other graphic programs like illustrator used in the design process. A few companies that use VW in NYC include Brooklyn Childrens Museum, Metropolitan Museum of Art and Alvin Ailley Dance Theatre

Hope this helps

Edited by ola_ola

Thanks Ola,

I checked the site for trainers in my area and there are none.

I appreciate your comment about only using one program but as I am under pressure to complete details etc. I will have to get to The Vectorworks part after Renderworks.

I know it's backwards but after reading my companys position above you'll see that I don't have much choice.