Utilizing Worksheets - Drawing Index

I've been following the latest discussion on worksheets with interest. Thanks Pat and GMM18 for the very helpful tools and feedback.

I've used it as an opportunity to develop my own understanding but have had mixed results. My personal challenge was to create a worksheet that would pull the page data out of the title block / drawing border and create an automated drawing index. In principle, I would like to pull the page #, Sheet Name, Current Issue, and Date from the sheets to auto populate the worksheet.

Right off the get-go I ran into a roadblock. When setting up the database row criteria, I find that no objects meet the criteria of Type->Drawing Border; Record->Drawing Border; Symbol Name->(Drawing border symbol name), etc.

I have it set up in what I understand to be the standard workflow with the drawing border/title block on the sheet layers.

The title block is a customized version of a VW standard and shows up in the OIP as a "Drawing Border" ... It functions as one in all other respects ... what am I missing?

Thanks!

In the Worksheet, Right click on a Row, Change to Database.

Right Click on it again and Set your criteria to "Record TitleBlockRecordName is Present"

picture6hz7.png

picture9bf2.png

Then in the worksheet, enter the formulas you want to show:

picture15uf7.png

picture11ls2.png

Be sure that you have single quotes around any database name or field that has

a space in it. Also be sure it is typed exactly correct. I have had times when it wasn't working, and I swear

all I did was retype the entire ='Record Name'.'Field' exactly

the same as I had it in the first place and it worked.

Your database name and field might be different than these ones.

You can find the ones you need either using the Cheat Sheet Worksheet, or

right-click on the Record Format in your Navigation Palette.

picture14cg3.png

picture13xh2.png

Once you have it ready you can click the "Down Arrow" in the upper left of

the worksheet and hide the Database Headers. And drop the worksheet on your

Title Sheet how you want it. Note that this is a two-way worksheet, so you can

change the Title/Sheet Number, etc. of your Sheets right in this worksheet and

it will make those changes on the respective Title Block. You can also Sort by

Sheet Number to keep it straight.

It has been a while since I looked at the Drawing Border records, but as I remember, it is going to be very difficult to get some of what you want. Rather than use multiple records, there are simply multiple fields named like date_1, date_2 etc. for things like the revision block. This means that there is not an easy way to get something like the latest revison date into a single column.

I hope I am wrong and that you can get what you want, but if not, don't beat your head on it for too long.

Pat

GMM18 - Truly an excellent tutorial. I think this will serve everyone in my situation. By observing the correct way to do it, I was able to identify the problem. My TitleBlockRec-Arch record does not show up in the Resource Browser, nor can I import a new one from a generic file. I can import the record under a different name, but VW won't allow me to rename it correctly. I'm working with Tech Support now to re-animate the ghost.

Pat - your get-name cheat sheet tool is excellent. I'm really looking forward to unlocking the power of worksheets ... one step at a time.

-- Matthew