VW 2008 crashes when opening file - referenced viewports?

This morning VW crashed several times when I tried to open files. At first I tried opening a file from the server. When that crashed I moved it to the desktop. When that still crashed I ran some disk tools, quit everything and restarted machine. Then I tried opening the backup. Still crashed.

I tried opening another file (also with a referenced viewport) and that crashed. Then I tried yet another file which did opene. Oddly the previous file I tried to open was suddenly opened in the background.

Now all the files that previously crashed at opening all load again. While this may be good news it wasted 45 minutes and a lot of nerve.

Does anyone have similar problems? Is there a known issue with referenced viewports or nested referenced viewports?

Was the referenced file created in 2008 or a previous version?

With the older versions any files that were moved would cause the problems you are describing. Now you have the option of Absolute Path or Relative Path when creating a reference.

Also it is important that all the files are from the same version of VW

HTH

All files are VW 2008 files. I was working with the documents yesterday and it worked fine. When I moved the file to the desktop (as described above) VW actually prompted me to relocate the links before crashing.

One thing I realized is that the files opened again after I opened the resource's source file first.