wood textures need overhaul

grant_PD

Question

After dealing with wood all night long, this texture needs to be reworked.

1. If you create and extrusion Vw will map the texture parallel to the longest dimension of your object. Super frustrating. How it's mapped is my choice not the program.

2. All woods need to be editable by their scale, rotation. Regardless of uvw mapping schema.

4 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello Grant:

1. Shouldn't the default be that the wood grain follows the longest edge of the object? Is the wood image oriented with the grain going horizontally in the dialog or vertically? The default mapping assumes that the wood image's grain is horizontal. Does setting the mapping rotation to 90 degrees help this?

2. Do you mean that the texture size for the texture resource isn't enough to set the size of the texture? By rotation do you mean 90 degrees or arbitrary angles?

If you have any images that illustrate these problems that would help document this wish.

Thanks!

Hi Dave & Grant, excuse my butting in, however I have a thought that I think might be useful (Dave, are you listening?): what if it were possible to option-click on any texture and very quickly change its orientation, by way of rotating the original image? In this way we could then duplicate each of the wood grain textures (for example) and then on each duplicate rotate the wood grain by 90?. I think this might make a lot of people very happy.

As it is now we have to go through the tedious process of exporting the original image, then rotating, then re-importing into a new texture. Not many users will take the time to do that, if they could even figure out how...

Thanks Dave;-)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello again Grant:

It may be disabled because that texture is not from a "wrapped" shader (ones with an asterisk next their names *). Those kinds of shaders are 3D; they aren't like wrapping a piece of veneer around the wood but more like the object is made from one solid/3D/continuous piece of wood.

Thanks for the ideas Peter!

Edited by Dave Donley