Aborted due to lack of memory

I was getting this same error message when rendering a model in v12.5, I upgraded to v2008 AND 2gb of ram about the same time and still received the error. I had to eventually start my model over. I am thinking it was a corrupted file!

Sorry you are having problems,

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the same problem. we use 12.5... with 3 gig of ram pentium d 2.8 gigahertz.

We would be happy to have a 2 to 5 min update but it runs out of memory and never finishes. It's a 2 story house, we want to eventually do 3 story commercial buildings. How are other companies doing large projects if I am straining at a 2 story house?

First, I would submit a bug with the apparently problematic file.

http://www.nemetschek.net/support/bugsubmit.php

Next I would play with the settings of the VP:

a) change the rendering mode or alter the options of a particular rendering mode

b) Use the Class visibility overrides in the VP to turn off the classes containing geometry that isn't visible for that view (e.g. interior walls, furniture, millwork, etc.)

On a WinXP setup, 2GB of RAM is enough, the OS will only allow VW to address 1.5GB anyways. Even if you have 4GB, VW will still only take up 1.5GB.

Size is relative. The time it takes to render and the amount of memory needed to render also depend on the amount of information in the VP and the level of detail. The Ellicott Heights project on the BIM in Practice webpage is 9 stories and about 1.25 million square feet. I created multiple VPs showing all and partial elevations. The trick was parsing the information (via class and layer VP overrides) based on what I wanted to "see". All this was done on a 17" MacBook Pro with 2GB of RAM. (Just a note: the MacOS will allow applications to address more RAM, approx. 2.5 to 3 GB).

Refer to thread:

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=7&Number=99374&Searchpage=1&Main=21301&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post99374