editing angular dimensioning

mr. iagea

how does one change the font, size and marker arrow sizes for angular dimensioning? i've looked in the class editing dialogs and even tried to do a custom modification with no effect.

for that matter, i also seem to be having trouble changing the normal dimensioning text data.

ideas?

thanks,

charlie

Edited by mr. iagea

It's up in your main menu in the Text pulldown.

To edit an existing dimension, select the dimension object (s), pulldown the Text menu and access the Size panel.

To set the drawing to create dimension and other text in a different text size or font, deselect all. Then mouse up to your main menu to reset the font and size in the Text pulldown.

Good luck!

-B

excellent, thanks. i was looking for a universal way to do this, and i just completely neglected the text menu.

is there a way to set a font globally so i don't have to select each text object and change manually? there HAS to be a way!

also, i still need to know how to change the size of the marker arrows...cannot find that.

thanks!

To set the defaults, make sure that nothing is selected in the drawing.

To set the text defaults, use the commands from the text menu.

To set the object attributes defaults, use the object info palette.

For both, make sure that nothing is selected or else you will only change the selected objects.

To change the arrow heads, click and hold down on the square buttons at the bottom of the attributes palette and select the arrow style you want.

If you don't like any of the arrow styles, use the Tools:Options:Edit Marker Styles command.

Pat

• 3 weeks later...

OK, for dimensions it is a little more tricky.

File:Document Settings:Document Preferences

Select the Dimension tab

Pick the dimenison standard that is closest to what you want in the pull down and then click on the Custom... button.

Click New... and give it a name. Then click the Edit... button.

You can set the markers for the dimension standard from the Custom Dimension dialog box.

Once you have the dimension standard set correctly, you can set it as the default for the drawing.

For dimensions already placed in the drawing, select them and change the dimension standard in the Object Info Palette.

You can then either create a template file that has the new dimension standard in it, or you can import the standard into you files.

Pat

If you really want to change the attributes of every dimension on a layer or in the drawing, and all dimensions are in the Dimension class, you can do the following:

1. make the Dimension class active

2. set class visibility to Active Only

3. select all

4. use the text menu commands to change font and size

5. use the attributes palette to change other attributes. Sorry, the arrowheads cannot be edited from here.

-B

okay, let's try this again:

i'm trying to edit the markers for ANGULAR DIMENSIONS ONLY.

try it yourself and see of you can. i can't.

make a simple rectangle. then, use the angular dimension tool to make an angular dimension in one corner. it doesn't matter which one. you'll get a 90 degree dimension.

now, try any and all of the methods described in these posts in an attempt to alter the marker size. the text is NOT the issue...that is alterable using the text menu. it's the marker size and types that don't seem to be editable, even though every other marker type in every other dimensioning tool IS editable.

try it and then get back to me. i'm totally baffled by what should be a very simple procedure using the methods you both have described.

am i missing something?

You must be missing something.

To change the markers on angular (or any other) dimensions you have to edit the dimension standard.

I posted the directions above. The option you want to change is the Other Markers: pulldown. Change that and any dimensions set to use that dimension standard will change.

To use that standard for all future dimensions, select you custom standard in the Dimension Standard pull down in the Document Preferenced dialog box in the Dimensions pane.

I did just try this and it works fine for me here.

Mac OX.4.11, Powerbook 1GHz, 1 GB RAM

Pat

wow.

okay, i got it to work using your method. thanks. for the record, i had to change the length of the marker to get the arrow marker to be smaller overall. i dunno...that was, hands down, a most unintuitive experience! there is nothing in any manual that explains that process, and i wanted to do that almost immediately upon using the angular dimensioning tool. ugh.

anyway, thanks for your help. it's greatly appreciated.

charlie