how to create varying roof slopes on a single roof plane

taliho

I'm following a very long and complicated thread on editing roofs, but it doesn't relate to creating varying slopes - similar to a mansard roof.

So far I have been creating two roof faces for each orientation, but the alignment is tricky. Framing with the same rafter size does not make for a clean joint (view gable face). Any modifications to the plan require editing multiple roof faces. ( I was hoping I could add vertices to a roof created with the 'create roof' tool)

Also -

can the fascia be adjusted so the top is flush with top of eave?

can the attic be adjusted so it does not start at the bearing height? (part way up the roof slope)

After using modify>edit group to cut the second floor out of the first floor roofs - is there a way to edit it when the second floor plan changes (becomes smaller)

So far I have been doing this with separate objects, roof faces, slabs etc, but it would be nice to have it all built in.

Any tips?

thanks

tali

A roof is a Structure and no amount of CAD fakery will change that fact.

Sure .. there are the kool looking modeled roofs on virtual buildings. But when it comes to Architectural Plans ... a fake model roof will not serve the purpose ... because... in the final analysis the roof is supposed to be constructible by humans.

And .. ideally... the proportionality of the roof should conserve the materials and define the floor plan & foundation via the Loads ForcePath. What this means is that an maximally efficient roof design will also minimize the Forces carried by the rest of the structure.

Therefore, it is recommended to begin with the correct proportions & slopes to match the members & spacings... then progress to the structural elements and finally the decking.

Plans for a modestly complicated pitched roof plan can take hours to evolve to get all the members correct and minimize the material wastage.

Ultimately, the Roof Design must be compatible with the materials required to construct it.

You can use two separate roof objects to do this simple roof.

With the Lower pitch Roof Object you can form a hole in it where the higher pitch roof occurs by Pasting in Place a Rectangle in the Group. Draw the Rectangle and Cut it from the drawing. Select the lower pitch Roof Object, choose Edit Group from the modify Menu and Paste in Place the rectangle, and then exit the Group. This will not affect your ability to edit this Roof Object in the normal way.

This was covered a short while ago in this topic on creating a double pitch roof: http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=96914&page=2#Post96914

Have a look at the Mansard Roof image I posted. Use the same logic with the roof slopes swapped.

Edited by mike m oz

IM,

The section was attached to make the relationship of the planes more clear, only.

Actually it was an artifact I recently created for the double pitched roof thread...you'll notice that it doesn't correspond with the other graphics.

I just wound up trying to get out the door that day and didn't know how to easily attach images yet.

In practice, reduding waste is a wonderful idea.

It begins with the program, however, not the roof.