Create a double Pitch roof

cwailes

I would like to know how to create a double pitched gable roof. I would also like to know what this kind of roof is called. It is a gable roof on both ends of the house. The first pitch is 3:12 and the second pitch is 6:12. I have attached a picture of the roof I am trying to do.

ccw,

I have always referred to that type roof as a Dutch Gable.

Best way to build it is use the roof plane tool for the 3/12 and you could use the roof tool for the main roof first then collide the planes into the fascia of the main. Set the main at the correct plate height and then just build the 3/12's and lift them in 3D to the point of top surface collision.

Pete A.

I am very new to VectorWorks, in fact I just bought it this week. I have been doing all elevations in the past by hand. I had heard about VectorWorks through a couple of magazines I get. I checked it out and bought it. It will definitely save me a lot of time.

So back to my question?

So are you saying create a roof that is 3:12 and then create a second one that is 6:12 or what ever I want it to be? Remember, I have always hand drawn these so I know how to sketch it just not achieve it this way in the software.

The roof tool doesn't have the ability to do broken pitch roofs. Therefore you will need to model two sets of roofs. Use the Roof Object routine for the higher pitch roof. For the lower pitch roofs use the Roof Face routine.

You might also be able to use two roof objects by reversing the slopes of this mansard roof technique: http://architoshforums.forest.net/showthread.php?t=1838

This technique will work for simple roofs only. Once the roof gets complex the hole in the lower roof doesn't always get formed properly. It can be used to get close though. If you then convert your roof to a Group you will find it will be composed of individual roof faces. Tidying these up should be relatively straightforward.

For simple Fascias the WallTool is the way to go ... when it comes to the pitch perimeter at the Gables use the 3d ReshapeTool to move the Wall/Fascia vertices in either the X or Y views. They even stay joined ! Assign the Wall Class attributes to All or the Right, Center, Left . Wall/Fascia make excellent sections , too.

For the Roof surfaces & ceilings just create the 3dPolys using the 3d Loci, then duplicate and move the polys for the various materials,thicknesses and elevations.

You can always Loft solids later after the design is fully structured & functional.

The 3dPolys also have the benefit of being cut-able into the various plywood decking patterns ( just don't forget to rotate the pitch to the plane ; )

Roof tool for the 3:12 roof over the entire structure.

Use edit group and draw a rectangle to clip the outline of the 6:12 pitch.

Copy the rectangle to the clipboard.

Paste in place and then convert to roof with 6:12 pitch.

Adjust bearing height of upper roof to interior edge of lower roof.

4 minutes for a simple rectangle.