Model 3d surface & control elevation points

J Lucas

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

For parking lots (assuming you're using the DTM), do the following:

1. Draw a site modifier in "fence" mode as the edge of your parking lot;

2. Place Stake objects around the edge of your fence in "Site Modifier Object" mode and set their elevation to the desired elevation;

3. Scatter more stake objects (same mode) at critical points internal to the parking lot (e.g. at catch basin edges);

Then recalculate.

Robert, If I may ask a follow-up (as it has come up several times lately): what is the recommended method for rendering the same parking lot(as above)? Can the area within the fence be rendered as asphalt (for example) while leaving the remainder of the site model rendered as turf (or whatever) without requiring the use of additional 3d objects? If so, how? If not, what/which 3d objects are preferred and why?

Thanks!

Thanks Robert,

Also, good folowup questions, Peter.

Currently I am tring to model a parking area bounded by retaining walls on a steep site(thus the similarity to a low sloped roof with parapets). I have created a DTM, but I would like to model this area independent of the DTM, to avoid the automatic regrading.

Any other ideas on my original question?