Indulge me: anyone using SpaceNavigator with VW2008?

I watched a demo of it at the conference in London and it seemed to me that the 3D part of the name is a misnomer, i.e. it's just as useful to pass panning and zooming off to the left hand in 2D as it is in 3D.

At the moment the only downside I can see is that if you use keyboard shortcuts you'll be switching between the navigator and the keyboard with your left hand a lot. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know how much of a problem this is.

They have another model which includes programmable buttons to get around this problem but you can only use 2 of the 8 or so buttons when using it on a Mac, apparently, because of a limitation in mouse driver technology (but they say they're working on this; maybe this limitation will be gone in Leopard?).

This is actually my second SpaceNavigator; the first time I tried it out, my muscle memory balked at losing the left hand for navigation modifiers and other hotkeys - so I returned it. Then my doctor "suggested" I find a way to unburden my right hand somewhat while working at the computer (or face surgery on my right shoulder), so I bought one again and have forced myself to get acquainted with it. It works beautifully in SketchUp, especially with the two buttons set to "Zoom Extents" and "Zoom Selected". I'm hoping it works for 2d panning and zooming in VW - I have yet to crack the nut of 3d in it to this point.

There is a Mac shareware program called Controllermate that allows you to program any HID device to do pretty much anything you want - so that could be a solution for the lack of multi-button support, Christaan (if you have the time to mess with it, that is).